UKC

Meltdown

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Pylon King 07 Mar 2022
In reply to Tom Green:

He's The Man.

james1978 08 Mar 2022
In reply to Tom Green:

If you don't have Instagram... what happened?!

OP Tom Green 08 Mar 2022
In reply to james1978:

Sorry, that is a bit irritating! Especially as the UKC route link has the ascent as hidden. 

Franco Cookson climbed The Meltdown in Twll Mawr. 

james1978 08 Mar 2022
In reply to Tom Green:

Oh wow. Good effort !

In reply to Tom Green:

We’re just waiting back for some details from the man himself.

Nick

Michael Hood 08 Mar 2022
In reply to Tom Green:

I know he manages to stir things up and often gets a lot of flack, but the boy certainly can climb, especially on this kind of stuff - kudos.

ianstevens 08 Mar 2022
In reply to james1978:

You can still click the link and see the post…

ianstevens 08 Mar 2022
In reply to Nick Brown - UKC:

Are this details “why Andy F thinks Franco has done something wrong this time”?  

r0b 08 Mar 2022
In reply to ianstevens:

He used a crimp with his 2nd and 3rd fingers rather than the approved 1st and 2nd hence his ascent is disqualified

Peter Walker 08 Mar 2022
In reply to ianstevens:

To be fair Andy F has been generous in his praise on the other channel.

FactorXXX 08 Mar 2022
In reply to Peter Walker:

> To be fair Andy F has been generous in his praise on the other channel.

He's also done so on the Instagram post linked to.

Fellover 08 Mar 2022
In reply to ianstevens:

If you don't have an instagram account it'll block you from seeing the post. Seems a bit variable, I can sometimes see things, sometimes can't.

Also, obviously great effort Franco.

Post edited at 10:56
 Cusco 08 Mar 2022
In reply to Tom Green:

Great work Franco!

But did you stick with the exact holds and use exactly the same sequence as the challenge was originally conceived and first climbed?   

I'm sure some bright sparks will be on here and the other channel soon with some negative comments or demanding to see the full length video or decrying your publicising of it through Instagram or querying what you've done outside of North Yorkshire.

Cusco 08 Mar 2022
In reply to Peter Walker:

I had to laugh when I saw that someone on the other channel said:

"Well, it's a hard sport slab. It'll be interesting to see him try something more than 5⁰ beyond the vertical. But, he knows his own strengths (and weaknesses) and plays to them."

Toerag 08 Mar 2022
In reply to Tom Green:

I've always been interested in the Meltdown since I read this description by Dawes in 'The Slate Issue' of OTE (no.66?) :-

"Slate is famous as the rockover capital of British climbing, yet the Meltdown barely has one. Off the top of my head I can remember ten unique moves I've never come across elsewhere.  In '86 I was able to link large sections together, one combination representing the hardest link I've ever done at that point except perhaps for the pre-scarred crux of Scritto's Republic in '82. On Meltdown eight 6c moves up a dynamically-climbed rib are sandwiched between an ankle-height drop down involving precise rotation of the whole body and a highly compressed mantle. This link I repeated in '90. It was my best achievement of the year alongside The Very Big and the Very Small, but this time complete with the substance of the start and clipping two bolts.

This meant I'd linked up to the second crux traverse right. The technicality of these cruxes is such that any limb's contact can fail which is unusual. The top crux is the harder, powerful-like Hubble, subtle like Shirley's Shining Temple yet at the end of an horrendous sequence. Lovely. The trouble is the sequence has disappeared.

While yarding like mad at the edge of the overlap the overlap broke, the weight of a satchel full of gold, I fumbled it then watched as it rotated slowly, accelerating swiftly onto obscure bits of disappointment.  Some 11 years have passed since the convoluted ripples right of the first pitch of The Quarryman first attracted me. What to do now? One idea I hit upon was to remodel the hold out of bronze. Like a gold cap on a gangster's tooth the cast would gleam on the smooth purple overlap. I have a friend who casts bronze. His skills combined with a strangely clear image in my mind (plus High8 video evidence from a Stone Monkey pilot) should allow a meltdown to remould the moves of my memory.

Meltdown is unique, though only 80' high it has two crux traverses of 20' each. Each move is different to any other, tiny slivers of slate as sidepulls manifested in spookily appropriate positions, rounded micromounds for feet, set in natural perfection to limit the sweep of the hand. Clusters of three holds where three are necessary to swap hands. There is a rest before the crux which takes six moves to establish and use three footholds to enable a heel standing/hands off, possible by starring out your body.  The second crux involves using the bronze cap; this will be for six moves. A dyno into a left hand finger pointing layback (fingers straight, hand palm at 90 to them) with the right knee resting on top of the left hand. A slap into an undercling and then a leg flag move where it would be ideal if you could take off your left calf muscle. Then a full foot smear, toe pull and footless dropdown after a low, long slap onto a pinch in front of your face. Extended, a big beautiful slopy foothold comes just within reach, legs and arms all crossed up, a hand off is sequentially possible. A few deft un-weightings, a set up and a sideways double dyno (the easiest move on the route) and the Meltdown is complete."

Is it really like that Franco?

PaulJepson 08 Mar 2022
In reply to Toerag:

Well there goes my onsight. Thanks a bunch.

GravitySucks 08 Mar 2022
In reply to Toerag:

> Is it really like that Franco?

While Johnny is not that much over 5 foot and Franco is over six foot with a plus 5 ape, I suspect the answer is 'no' !

Never the less kudos to both parties .... each must find his own way.

PaulJepson 08 Mar 2022
In reply to Toerag:

Was this bronze cap ever realised? I had no idea if so. 

Arms Cliff 08 Mar 2022
In reply to Toerag:

Well that sounds pretty straightforward. 

ianstevens 08 Mar 2022
In reply to Cusco:

“Someone” aka Andy F 😂 

CantClimbTom 08 Mar 2022
In reply to Tom Green:

Just to get everyone in the mood

youtube.com/watch?v=Bu2b4P6-IcY&

complete with a little bit of VHS tracking fault

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...