UKC

Midwales top extreme routes from E1-E5

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BC 09 Jul 2019

As the title suggests, what's your recommendation on mid wales top E1-E5 routes. Could be easy or nails. Just trying to develop a tick list for the area.

Greenbanks 10 Jul 2019
In reply to BC:

Aardvark will be in there for a start

Myfyr Tomos 10 Jul 2019
In reply to BC:

Spend a couple of weeks cleaning it, then Darker Angel will fit the bill nicely! 

rachelpearce01 10 Jul 2019
In reply to BC:

Gwydrin on cadair idris. One of the best slab routes in wales maybe?!

Smelly Fox 10 Jul 2019
In reply to BC:

I know Fiend would have some good suggestions since he’s climbed a lot here... such a shame he’s not allowed to post anymore.

mrchewy 10 Jul 2019
In reply to Smelly Fox:

> I know Fiend would have some good suggestions since he’s climbed a lot here... such a shame he’s not allowed to post anymore.

That's the truth

Pretty sure he's done more around there than anyone else I know.

Maybe ask him on ukb

Coel Hellier 10 Jul 2019
In reply to Smelly Fox:

> I know Fiend would have some good suggestions since he’s climbed a lot here...

In fact he was just there at the weekend, when we climbed on a couple of off-the-beaten-track** Rhinnogs crags.

"Fearsome Warrior" (I think that's the name) was a worthwhile and adventurous E1 at Craig Galch (no, me neither, until Fiend suggested it).

[**Most Rhinnogs crags could do with someone beating down a track to them!]

Jon Read 10 Jul 2019
In reply to Coel Hellier:

> In fact he was just there at the weekend, when we climbed on a couple of off-the-beaten-track** Rhinnogs crags.

> "Fearsome Warrior" (I think that's the name) was a worthwhile and adventurous E1 at Craig Galch (no, me neither, until Fiend suggested it).

Could you update the crag details, Coel? It currently has Craig Galch placed near the A1 in Yorkshire!

Phil Murray 10 Jul 2019
In reply to mrchewy:

Yep I'd agree with that - Fiend would be the man to go to for this subject!  Mr Knowledge.....

Andy Farnell 10 Jul 2019
In reply to BC:

I've never climbed there, but isn't there a bloke who knows a fiendish amount about the routes down that way. Can't seem to place his name, but if he could post, it would help...

Andy F

Coel Hellier 10 Jul 2019
In reply to Jon Read:

> Could you update the crag details, Coel? It currently has Craig Galch placed near the A1 in Yorkshire!

That's even more lost than is usual for Rhinnogs crags!

The general approach description would be: head out into the midst of wild mid-Wales, take a teeny-weeny road, then park and take an even teenier-weenier path that soon peters out, then head across deep heather and head-high bracken, interspersed with knee-deep bog, until you eventually come to something resembling a crag.**

[**OK, I admit that this description isn't actually helpful in finding the crag, but that seems in keeping with spirit of the CC Meirionnydd guide.]

OP BC 10 Jul 2019
In reply to rachelpearce01:

Beauty of a top pitch that. Have you done the direct start to it at e3?

OP BC 10 Jul 2019
In reply to Smelly Fox:

What's his name?

gobbledigook 10 Jul 2019
In reply to BC:

This is a thread that Fiend would be all over... If he were able.

if no one else can help, and if you can find him...
maybe you can climb with Fiend 😎

Smelly Fox 10 Jul 2019
In reply to BC:

Ask Alan James

Dave Williams 11 Jul 2019
In reply to BC:

Bit of a (personal) list here, although all are <E3. Might be useful as a starter though...... 

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/rock_talk/recommended_climbs_hvs-e2_in_me...

Post edited at 12:58
 Dave Williams 11 Jul 2019
In reply to BC:

Very useful feedback from Fiend, plus another 'hitlist' here:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=533821&v=1#x7176397

rachelpearce01 11 Jul 2019
In reply to BC:

Sorry Ben being completely stupid and didn’t realise this was you ! Haha

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...