UKC

Motorcycle and climbing combined what do you do..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Puppythedog 11 Aug 2019

Apple Ogies if I put this in the wrong forum. I couldn't decide. I am soon to be riding a big enough motorbike to be able easily day trip the Peak and Lower Wye from Birmingham where Live. 

Do any of you experienced people get to the crag on your Motorbikes? What do you do with your helmet and armoured clothes? I don't fancy lugging them up to Stanage from the car park as well as my rack. 

thepodge 11 Aug 2019
In reply to Puppythedog:

Chain through the sleeves of the jacket looped through the helmet and locked to the bike is what I used to do when I didn't want to lug stuff about. 

OP Puppythedog 11 Aug 2019
In reply to thepodge:

Thanks thepodge, I hadn't thought of that as a possibility.

Rob Laird 11 Aug 2019
In reply to thepodge:

> Chain through the sleeves of the jacket looped through the helmet and locked to the bike is what I used to do when I didn't want to lug stuff about. 

I do exactly the same thing. Get a long enough cable to fit the trousers as well, and most bikes have a helmet lock. Gloves can go under the seat, and that just leaves boots. Assuming the walk-in isn’t too long, just wear them to the crag.

alex goodall 11 Aug 2019
In reply to Puppythedog:

When roped climbing normally get there 5 mins before any partners then just ditch all the clothing in their car. 

Did this for years with all kinds of activities before I learnt to drive a car 

gobbledigook 11 Aug 2019
In reply to Puppythedog:

I had this tricky situation in China, I took a selfie to demonstrate 😂

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4FJFu9ySRUpEdmBq8

Fakey Rocks 11 Aug 2019
In reply to Puppythedog:

Many motorbikes have luggage options,...a top box, side boxes. Can actually go away on trad trips with enough camping gear too like this. Might even get there in decent time if you don't mind carefully filtering through the motorway hold ups. I try to grade the filtering experience with a trad grade, think I've done some e7 stuff but trying to keep it around vs tbf, it's just far too unpredictable when you are still going at 70 through 40 stuff.

Being able to carry stuff in a top box takes all the weight off your shoulders too, but you might need an alternative "crag bag" arrangement to make it fit. 

Post edited at 22:39
baron 11 Aug 2019
In reply to Fakey Rocks:

At the risk of sounding like a smart arse could I suggest that the result of filtering through traffic at 70mph is entirely predictable ?  

Andrew Wilson 12 Aug 2019
In reply to Puppythedog:

I used to strap my standard rucksack to the pillion seat so it is not on my shoulders. 

I carried an 80l dry bag to put my boots, helmet, leathers and gloves in which I then chained to the bike using a wire mesh net (pac-safe I think). 

Worked really well. 

Trangia 12 Aug 2019
In reply to Puppythedog:

I often see bikers struggling through the streets and sea front of Hastings weighed down by all their gear - helmet, clothing etc on a hot sunny day, and thought that can't be much fun as it tends to conflict with the reason they chose to come down for a day by the sea in the first place. It's such a common sight that I have wondered why someone hasn't come up with an idea as to how to keep their biking gear safe leaving them free to enjoy their trip. The same applies to climbers, hill walkers, runners etc.

I don't ride a motorbike and I suspect that there is a reason why there doesn't seem to be such a thing as a small motorbike trailer which would solve the problem of where to lock up their gear? Obviously it would impede the bike's handling and performance and would be a challenge to a designer particularly when coping for the bike banking, but if in such a case the bike/trailer combination would be a means to an end would it be worth considering, where the quality of the stay, is important enough to accept the reduced the performance in getting there?

Alternatively, in the case of a seaside resort, there might be scope for town councils to make a bob or two by providing lock up cabinets next to motorbike parking spaces - doesn't solve the OP's dilemma though   

deepsoup 12 Aug 2019
In reply to Trangia:

> I don't ride a motorbike and I suspect that there is a reason why there doesn't seem to be such a thing as a small motorbike trailer which would solve the problem of where to lock up their gear?

You can tow a trailer with a motorbike and they do exist, but it would probably create more problems than it would solve as it also makes the bike more difficult to park and manoeuvre.  The reason you don't often see them is that they're really not very practical.

petegunn 12 Aug 2019
In reply to Trangia:

Not a motorbike but see what Danny can do on a bike with a kids trailer! 

youtube.com/watch?v=jj0CmnxuTaQ&

springfall2008 12 Aug 2019
In reply to Puppythedog:

Take a big rucksack, lock your helmet to the bike and then take your jacket and trousers with you (they should fit in the rucksack).

Or get some hard luggage for the bike.

FatRob 12 Aug 2019
In reply to Puppythedog:

I've seen ammo tins bolted to the carrier to create steel luggage, not light but an option.

Choose your armour wisely, so that it's easier to pack down. 

Get or weld up a top box to fit your lid.

Sidecar, wallace and grommit style!

WaterMonkey 12 Aug 2019
In reply to Puppythedog:

I rode my R1200GS to Bosigran from Kent. Top box and pannier bags holding all my camping and climbing kit. Once at Bosigran I then squeezed my jacket, trousers and boots into the panniers, locked the helmet to the bike and went climbing.

Great fun it was too.

OP Puppythedog 12 Aug 2019
In reply to Puppythedog:

Thanks for the replys all My new big bike arrived (new to me) today, just need to pass my DAS over the next couple of weeks.

FreshSlate 12 Aug 2019
In reply to Puppythedog:

As others have said, the most simple way is top box / panniers. Take climbing stuff out, put helmet and leathers etc. in. 

In reply to Puppythedog:

I have a couple of the rucksack anti theft cages.

Light steel mesh that you can lock your rucksack in. I just put helmets, boots, jacket etc in that and lock it to the bike. If raining put in a dry bag first

Dax H 13 Aug 2019
In reply to Trangia:

> I often see bikers struggling through the streets and sea front of Hastings weighed down by all their gear - helmet, clothing etc on a hot sunny day, and thought that can't be much fun as it tends to conflict with the reason they chose to come down for a day by the sea in the first place.

A lot of bikers carry their helmet and jacket as part of a uniform to identify themselves as bikers, strange I know but more than a few have admitted thus to me. Myself and the wife ditch everything. Our trousers go in the top box with the gloves, helmets on the seat with our jackets over them and a cable lock running through the sleeves and helmets to the bike frame. I would rather walk sound in shorts and a tee shirt than bike gear. 

> I don't ride a motorbike and I suspect that there is a reason why there doesn't seem to be such a thing as a small motorbike trailer which would solve the problem of where to lock up their gear? Obviously it would impede the bike's handling and performance and would be a challenge to a designer particularly when coping for the bike banking, but if in such a case the bike/trailer combination would be a means to an end would it be worth considering,

You can get bike trailers but no one buys them. Just learn to travel light. We can do 2 weeks touring Europe with all of our luggage in the top box and a small tank bag. Okay we don't camp anymore due to my pains but it does include all the wife's medication.

To the Op, as others have said a cable lock is your friend, boots are always a problem though until I got some Altberg hog boots. Great for riding in and I can walk all day in them too. Unlike most bike boots these have a proper sole. 

baron 13 Aug 2019
In reply to Puppythedog:

Before armoured jackets and trousers became commonplace it was usual to wear the gear that you would wear while hillwalking/climbing.

So you’d have your waterproofs over your fleece jacket to keep you warm and dry and your walking boots would provide some foot and ankle protection.

Your climbing gear would be in your rucksack which was bungeed to your petrol tank.

When you arrived at your destination you chained your helmet to your bike, hoping that no stray animal or climber would piss in it, donned your rucksack and off you went.

While not providing as much protection should you have a crash it was the usual way for often poor climbers to utilise gear that they already had.

It’s still my preferred attire for a days climbing although at all other times I’m an ATGATT person.

Cheese Monkey 13 Aug 2019
In reply to Puppythedog:

Just fit a top box. Incredibly naff but solves all your problems

EddInaBox 14 Aug 2019
In reply to Puppythedog:

Try this solution, at 1:34.

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/selected-originals-duke-in-malta-aka-duk...

Nothing wrong with top-roping!

neilwiltshire 14 Aug 2019
In reply to Puppythedog:

Not sure if anyone said this already but the obvious, if not cheapest option is to get a lockable top box or panniers. They'll double up as gear storage when you're riding.

OP Puppythedog 15 Aug 2019
In reply to Puppythedog:

Thanks all, my ZZR came with a top box already attached so when I can ride that I will fit what I can in. I have just bought some new Synthetics that are smaller and more likely to pack away so looks like I could blast up for some bouldering or soloing without being away from the family too much now or when I pass my test anyway.

jimtitt 16 Aug 2019
In reply to Puppythedog:

Like Andrew Wilson does, a drybag and a Pacsafe Backpack Protector.

Andrew Wilson 17 Aug 2019
In reply to jimtitt:

Yes, on my Aprillia RSV a top box and panniers were not an option! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...