UKC

My story

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 chrishamper 19 May 2021

About 5 years ago I wrote an article for UKclimbing about climbing with Parkinson's encouraged by the positive feedback it received I decided to write a book. I realised that if i wrote 6000 words a day I'd have a book in 12 and that's what I did. Never got it published it's been sitting in dropbox ever since. Thought I might as well share it so added some stolen photos and stuck it on ISSUU. Sorry if I stole your photo, I know it's naughty but they are all uncredited. It's not edited, just the raw words written in 12 days. A lot more has happened since I wrote it plus there are a lot of gaps, not sure if I can be bothered to finish it. If you get round to reading it let me know what you think. At least I enjoyed writing it. https://issuu.com/chrishamper/docs/flash_in_the_pan

john arran 20 May 2021
In reply to chrishamper:

I started reading this last night, and if it wasn't for the fact that it was already late and I had to get up very early for work this morning, I would have been up half the night reading it. As it is, I got far further than my initial plan, which was 'just to read the prologue'; that plan didn't last long.

I love your writing style. Very simple but very honest and relatable, and every other line seems to bring a smile to my face for different reasons.

Thank you for sharing.

Greg Lucas 20 May 2021
In reply to john arran:

Same here. I loved it. Had my second jab yesterday and then  what I thought would be an early night... I almost finished it, what a fantastic read - most second jabbers out there will know about many of the events and characters Chris mentions; wonderful to have Chris's perspective . Chris Hamper was 'cult' when I was growing up and it's about time we got the whole story. It'll need better photographs but I'm sure that won't be a problem. I really really look forward to it being published. 

chrishamper 20 May 2021

Thanks Greg and John, I'm already feeling inspired to finish the job. The images were just thrown in, I'm sure the active photographers of the time, Bernard, POD, Keith, John Kirk etc. would have some unseen gems they could contribute. As for proper publishing, who knows?

In reply to chrishamper:

I've only had time to skim through the earlier chapters so far, but I'll definitely read it properly when I have a chance.  I was brought up in one of Coventry's leafier suburbs at about the same time as you, so there's a lot I recognise.  And you're right, coming from Coventry is nothing to brag about, even now, and I'm not really sure why I feel that so strongly - there are worse places!  

Post edited at 09:48
 Neil Foster Global Crag Moderator  UKC Supporter 20 May 2021
In reply to chrishamper:

> ….Thought I might as well share it so added some stolen photos and stuck it on ISSUU. Sorry if I stole your photo, I know it's naughty….

Actually, I’m honoured that you ‘stole’ my photo (of Revalations) Chris 😉.

Really looking forward to reading this. Thanks for putting it out there.

Neil

Cobra_Head 20 May 2021
In reply to chrishamper:

Nice one, keep writing, if nothing else (and I mean that in the loosest possible terms) it'll be something for the family to cherish.

In reply to chrishamper:

Excellent news, I’m really looking forward to reading it.

In reply to chrishamper:

A brilliant read. Verical Brain could be interested maybe? Do some sub-editting and get biggeg versions of the photos and more photos. I think it would make an interesting book. Great effort. Well done sir.

Michael Gordon 26 May 2021
In reply to chrishamper:

I really enjoyed this. Both irreverent and self-deprecating, a nice sharp turn of phrase.  

Greenbanks 28 May 2021
In reply to Dave Garnett:

I recall a few visits to Corley; on one occasion met Arnis there - doing something terminally difficult & dangerous even for that grubby little place. Still, fond memories: it kept us out of mishief for a while, until we bussed it over the border to the bigger challenges of Barrow Hill and Whitwick. Happy days.

Greenbanks 28 May 2021
In reply to Greenbanks:

And to CH. I'm halfway through. It is brilliant & takes you right there to the heart of it all. Enjoying it more than a lot of other more high-profile stuff I've read. Its got a style of its own. Great effort. Thank you.

Doug 28 May 2021
In reply to chrishamper:

any chance this could be made 'downloadable'?  I find it very difficult to read as if I enlarge the text enough for me to be able to read (problems with my vision at the moment) I can only see part of the page & there seems no way to select which part of the page I can see.

Shame as the little I can read seems good

john arran 28 May 2021
In reply to Doug:

Seems fine to me on Windows laptop and on Android phone. Not ideal but plenty good enough. They're both touchscreen though, so maybe that's the difference? If so, then enlarging using the trackpad may be worth trying.

Doug 29 May 2021
In reply to john arran:

Using a Macbook, I'll try again to see if I can find a way of enlarging the text & still being able to read all the text by scrolling up/down & right/left but couldn't when I tried yesterday

edit  - if I enlarge the entire webpage (rather than the 'zoom in' function) I can read it. Maybe a browser problem?

Post edited at 07:37
 chrishamper 29 May 2021
In reply to Doug:

If you are still having trouble here is a pdf.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oigpd2cekk2fedc/Flash%20in%20the%20pan.pdf?dl=0

Should be finished with part 2 by the end of next week

Doug 29 May 2021
In reply to chrishamper:

Many thanks, I think that the Issuu version would be OK on a desktop PC with a large screen but unfortunately I find the Issuu style presentation very difficult on a laptop. My eye problems are getting less week by week so hopefully I'll be able to read part 2 on line - a few weeks ago I struggled to read anything at all.

Pekkie 29 May 2021
In reply to chrishamper:

Good effort, Chris. Off out now, but I'll enjoy reading it later. You were one of my role models prancing about in pink tights in Extreme Rock and the mags! You could publish it yourself via Kindle Direct Publishing on Amazon (google self publishing for advice and at all costs avoid the self publishing scammers/vanity publishers who infest the internet/social media). Check Gary Gibson's autobiography 'Blood, Sweat and Smears' - he sells it direct to the punter via social media etc. You do need some editing to weed out typos and tighten up on the grammar but it's an interesting tale that would appeal to two markets - the 70s/80s climbing scene and Parkinsons sufferers/carers - great kudos to you for writing a book while suffering from that condition. 

Tom Loughlin 02 Jun 2021
In reply to chrishamper:

I've just finished reading this - just wanted to say I thought it was really good. You've got a wry sense of humour that made me chuckle, and a self-reflective honesty that really brought home some of the difficult moments in life that you've faced. Thanks for writing and sharing this. 

chrishamper 06 Jun 2021
In reply to chrishamper:

Just uploaded Part 2, mostly about moving to Norway but some climbing. I f you enjoyed the read please consider making a small donation to The Norwegian Parkinson's association via facebook https://www.facebook.com/donate/120178863529985

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...