UKC

NEWS: Mysterious Outbreak on Lundy Island

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Richard Fox 12 Sep 2007
I've just returned from a trip to Lundy with the Avon MC. The island is currently have a problem with a stomach bug, which affected about 60% of our group. Other groups seemed to be suffering at similar levels. It has been present on the island for a couple of weeks, has affected most of the staff. We weren't told about the situation till we arrived
In our group there was no defintie pattern. It affected both people who ate in the tavern and did not. It affected campers and those in buildings, those who drank the water and those who lived on bottled water. I personally would suspect it is something like the Norwalk virus. Its is currently being investigated and might lead to some restrictions if the outbreak continues.
 The Pylon King 12 Sep 2007
In reply to Richard Fox:

Blimey - sounds like the 70s tv series "survivors"
 hutchm 12 Sep 2007
In reply to Richard Fox:

Send this to Mick Ryan - a decent news story this.
 nikinko 12 Sep 2007
In reply to hutchm:

aye, we should all join the bmc, that would fix it. ;¬)

to OP, sorry you didn't have a good trip, and hope you all recover soon.
 gimmer 12 Sep 2007
In reply to Richard Fox:
We were there 1-8th Sept, 9 out of the 13 strong group got it and were laid up in bed for at least 24 hours. We were assured by the staff that the water had been tested and it wasn't the cause. Let's hope it gets sorted out as soon as possible.
 datoon 12 Sep 2007
In reply to Richard Fox: We where there when I think it started the bank holiday weekend for the week... Nearly everyone in our party got it out of 14 I think 9 something like that...
OP Richard Fox 12 Sep 2007
In reply to nikinko:
I had an amazing trip, first time there, did some of the classics. But shame to loose a day due to illness. Back next year, even if it becomes a leper colony.
 Michael Ryan 12 Sep 2007
In reply to hutchm:

Have contacted the BMC.
 Al Evans 12 Sep 2007
In reply to Richard Fox: Do you reckon its being transmitted by a tick or an insect of some kind?
 hutchm 12 Sep 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:
> (In reply to hutchm)
>
> Have contacted the BMC.

LOL...

Alternatively, try the Landmark Trust Press Office on 01628 825920 or media@landmarktrust.org.uk

If they've gone to the trouble of testing the water it's obviously a persistent problem...
OP Richard Fox 12 Sep 2007
In reply to Al Evans:
Actually I Have been biten by something around the mid rif, has have several others. Its possible, I'll ask around the group.
 Michael Ryan 12 Sep 2007
In reply to Richard Fox:

Now on the news page: http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 nastyned 12 Sep 2007
In reply to Richard Fox: That's the bracken bugs - that's normal for Lundy.
 CJD 12 Sep 2007
In reply to Richard Fox:

Rob Naylor mentioned in a post the other day that he'd been to Lundy recently and a lot of his group had also got the bug. Sounds unpleasant!
 Tiggs 12 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD: I thought he had too. It was a group from Tunbridge Wells Mountaineering Club who were affected.
Yorkspud 12 Sep 2007
In reply to Richard Fox:

Are they still selling Puffin Beer? :-p
Chris Tan Ver. L SP2 12 Sep 2007
In reply to Tiggs:

It's the Plague! It's the Plague!

IIRC Lundy is the only place on the British Isles where you can find the Black Rat, ratus ratus.
 Chris the Tall 12 Sep 2007
> (In reply to hutchm)
>
> Have contacted the BMC.

I think they already have a man on the island

Coming soon - Martin Koscis reporting live from the gents toilet at the Marisco tavern

hutchm 12 Sep 2007
In reply to Chris the Tall:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
> [...]
>
> I think they already have a man on the island
>
> Coming soon - Martin Koscis reporting live from the gents toilet at the Marisco tavern

It's the least that we demand for our subscription money. Do you think the BMC's virologist will be flown in?
 Tiggs 12 Sep 2007
In reply to Chris Tan Ver. L SP2: Now I've got Monty Python type pictures and cries of 'bring out your dead!' in my mind.
 Al Evans 12 Sep 2007
In reply to nastyned:
> (In reply to Richard Fox) That's the bracken bugs - that's normal for Lundy.

Yep, but thats not to say they are not transmitting something this year.
 Tiggs 12 Sep 2007
In reply to hutchm: Will he/she need the full hazard suit and oxygen tanks?
 hutchm 12 Sep 2007
In reply to Tiggs:
> (In reply to hutchm) Will he/she need the full hazard suit and oxygen tanks?

Same one that's needed for the Peak Area Meeting.
 Michael Ryan 12 Sep 2007
In reply to hutchm:
> (In reply to Chris the Tall)
> [...]
>
> Do you think the BMC's virologist will be flown in?

Nial Grimer is being flown out as we read and write.

Chris the Tall 12 Sep 2007
In reply to Richard Fox:
Got several bites last year - assumed it was bed bugs as we were staying in the castle and it seemed a bit damp.

I suppose it could have come from walking through bracken on one of my "shortcuts" across the island
 Tiggs 12 Sep 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Will he need a hazard suit or does he have cast iron intestines?
 aln 12 Sep 2007
In reply to Tiggs: The Tunbridge Wells Mountaineering Club. Oh, how we laughed!
 Michael Ryan 12 Sep 2007
In reply to Tiggs:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com) Will he need a hazard suit ......

Talked to one of Grimer's handlers and although he will need a bio-hazard suit....they aren't giving him one for some reason!
 Dave Garnett 12 Sep 2007
In reply to Chris Tan Ver. L SP2:
> (In reply to Tiggs)
>
> It's the Plague! It's the Plague!
>
> IIRC Lundy is the only place on the British Isles where you can find the Black Rat, ratus ratus.

Not any longer!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/devon/outdoors/nature/rats_lundy.shtml
Chris Tan Ver. L SP2 12 Sep 2007
In reply to Dave Garnett:

Rats, Sharks and Spiders just don't do as well as Puffins, Seals and Pandas in the cute stakes;-(
 Nigel Modern 12 Sep 2007

'Do you think the BMC's virologist will be flown in?

Nial Grimer is being flown out as we read and write.'

Will he be played by Dustin Hoffman in the film?.....Outbreak...it's Ebola folks but not as we know it...
IbexJim 12 Sep 2007
In reply to Nigel Modern:
All it now needs is a wicker man being built....
I think I'd check my routes off the island, first thing I got there!
 Chris Snell 12 Sep 2007
We were in Lundy at the end of sept and half of our party were struck (only the women interestingly). Hope it's gone by october - I'm going back for some more classics!
jo irving 12 Sep 2007
In reply to Richard Fox: Hi Richard - I'm a BBC journalist working in Devon and am investigating this stomach bug which seems to have affected people staying on Lundy. I would very much like to talk to you and anyone else who has been ill. Perhaps you can get in touch with me via e-mail 1st? (jo.irving@bbc.co.uk)
chembhoysh 12 Sep 2007
I was there in a group of 13 or so from the Lancashire Mountaineering Club, we arrived on Saturday the 25th and for four days everyone was fine - excellent weather and all was grand. Then people started getting sick - proper 24 - 72 hour stomach bugs. The last Friday night there must've been about 10 people in the pub after Thursday night it having been packed.

Bar staff said it was the same every year with kids coming over and that... all very strange no?
 gimmer 12 Sep 2007
In reply to IbexJim:
Well... last Friday night on Lundy I did see Paul Harrison (esteemed Lundy guidebook writer) clutching a DVD of the Wicker Man. Was he looking for ideas of how to rid the island of the plague?
maxd 12 Sep 2007
In reply to Chris Snell: End Sept ... ?? Obviously in a time warp :-D Apparently storms forecast October. Enjoy mate - more soft touch E6s to go at!!!
delfair 12 Sep 2007
In reply to Richard Fox:
This is almost certainly a 'Norovirus' (formerly 'Norwalk' or 'Small Round Structured' virus) outbreak. It's a *very* contagious virus, which spreads readily from person to person. It's unlikely to be associated with drinking water or food in this case; much more likely is general surface contamination (perhaps in the tavern?). The virus can survive on contaminated surfaces (sinks, taps, door-handles, etc.) for several days, so there is usually plenty of opportunity to become infected... The effects are short lived but nasty - as anyone who has had it will confirm.
OP Richard Fox 13 Sep 2007
In reply to delfair:
In which case it is likely that they will have to chuck everyone out of Lundy for 2 weeks till the virus is spent. The usual process when dealing with Norwalk virus.
 Trangia 13 Sep 2007
In reply to delfair:

Sounds horrible. Why doesn't it spread to the mainland with sick people returning?

Maybe a cul of all on the island and a 10K movement restriction zone around Bideford and Ilfracobe harbours?
 Al Evans 13 Sep 2007
In reply to Trangia: Thats a very good question?
Dr.Strangeglove 13 Sep 2007
In reply to Al Evans:
it is, maybe density of virus in the local environment is a factor?
(i.e. if you all go to the same pub all of the time the virus concentration will be higher in that area than if you ll go to different pubs?)
 gingerkate 13 Sep 2007
In reply to anyone:

I've had a norovirus (not on Lundy) and owing to the circumstances know pretty much how I was infected. I was sat three metres away from a girl who had it, just for a few minutes. She then left (due to being ill...) and that contact was enough for me to pick it up ... I then unwittingly gave it to around 80% of the people at the weekend conference we were attending.

So there you go ... sat at opposite sides of small lounge area in big room, for possibly ten minutes, is enough to infect you. Potent little bugs!
 Mike Redmayne 13 Sep 2007
In reply to Richard Fox:
We're going out on Saturday. Landmark have been very good about it: they've offered to refund us if we want to cancel. A team is apparently going out on the ferry with us to disinfect the properties before we move in.
In reply to Mike Redmayne:
They had apparently disinfected the properties when we went in, but I think that may have been the normal cleaning crew. If I knew what you know, I'd have still gone out.
 Mike Redmayne 13 Sep 2007
In reply to Richard Fox:
Yes, I'm not counting on it being disease free when we go, but it seems worth the risk. If the weather forecast had been awful, mind, we might be more worried about the virus!
 Tiggs 13 Sep 2007
In reply to Mike Redmayne: I got this after visiting someone in hospitalearlier this year. It hits incredibly fast and lasts about 24-36 hours when you really are out of it apart from running to the bathroom! Hope you manage to avoid getting it.
jo irving 13 Sep 2007
In reply to chembhoysh: Hi - I've been chatting to some people on the site about this bug affecting visitors to Lundy - I am investigating the story for the BBC website here in Devon - I would really like to include your experiences and wonder if you are able to give me more details. If so please call 01752 234509 or e-mail jo.irving@bbc.co.uk - Many thanks Jo.
jo irving 13 Sep 2007
In reply to Mike Redmayne: Hi - I've been talking to others who were affected by the Lundy bug as I am writing a news piece about it for the BBC in Devon - I would be keen to speak to you too to see from your point of view what contingency plans have been put in place in light of the bug. Here's hoping you will e-mail or call 01752 234509 or jo.irving@bbc.co.uk
In reply to hutchm:
Yow lying git.
Nice to know that journalistic standards are so high at the BBC. Particularly as its was a cut and paste job from UKC.
 hutchm 14 Sep 2007
In reply to Richard Fox:

eh?
 Chris the Tall 14 Sep 2007
In reply to hutchm:
"A rock climbers' web forum identified the outbreak after a number of people contacted the site to tell their story of what happened to them."

Bit poor that they didn't give the name of the forum, nor provide a link to it. Get on to them Mick!
 toad 14 Sep 2007
In reply to Chris the Tall: Thought it was "outward bound", or have they changed this?
 hutchm 14 Sep 2007
In reply to toad:

They've changed it.
 datoon 14 Sep 2007
In reply to Richard Fox: That truly is not a very factual piece of journalism - Christine (Christian) is in fact a bloke not a girl as is specified... Unless recently he's had a sex change!?!
 Rob Naylor 16 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD:
> (In reply to Richard Fox)
>
> Rob Naylor mentioned in a post the other day that he'd been to Lundy recently and a lot of his group had also got the bug. Sounds unpleasant!

Yep, we were there 25th August to 1st Sept and four out of 6 of us came down with it.

Other groups we spoke to had a similar infection incidence.
 ALF 17 Sep 2007
In reply to Rob Naylor: Latest news is tomorrow's (Tuesday 18th)and Thursdays (20th) sailings have been cancelled. I'm booked to go out on Saturday and will find out if it's still on tomorrow, although it's looking doubtful.
Nick
martin k 17 Sep 2007
In reply to ALF: it'll be a shame if you don't get out there. even if you do get ill, you'll only be a bit queasy for 24hrs and then you'll be back to normal. some reports i've heard have made it sound like the back death. to my simple brain it's just a stomach bug that makes you a bit poorly for 24hrs.

good luck!
 Fidget 17 Sep 2007
In reply to martin k:

But you have a positive view on everything :p
anonymoss 17 Sep 2007
In reply to martin k:
A very simplistic view (if you get ill that is).

Reality is as follows:
-catch bug: then out for 12-24 hours (see below)
-following this, you have 12-24 hours recovery whilst your body regains its strength and you're able to build up lost reserves (through the previous illness)

Total lost time is typically 24-48 hours (with a greater emphasis on the latter loss).

BTW, the 24 hours illness is not that straightforward or "queasy" - think violent and uncontrolled vomitting for a period of time!!!

By my simple mind, this is beyond a bit poorly?
 AJM 17 Sep 2007
In reply to anonymoss:

You get it as well then?

AJM
 Rob Naylor 18 Sep 2007
In reply to martin k:
> (In reply to ALF) it'll be a shame if you don't get out there. even if you do get ill, you'll only be a bit queasy for 24hrs and then you'll be back to normal. some reports i've heard have made it sound like the back death. to my simple brain it's just a stomach bug that makes you a bit poorly for 24hrs.

It affected different people in different ways. The symptoms you describe were exactly that for some of our group. Some, though, were throwing up and squittering like crazy.

For me it was a 48 hour thing. First 24 hours, I just felt queasy, and had to visit the bog more than usual. Second 24 hours I was puking and crapping like there was no tomorrow. Then I felt fine, started eating again too early and had a relapse 12 hours later where I may as well have not bothered getting off the bog. I must have gone to the bog 12 times on the Friday night, and spent the rest of the time waiting for the cramps to get bad enough to send me rushing again.

Saturday I tried to climb (short day before the ferry) but felt so knackered I just lay down in a crack at the top of Beaumont Buttress and slept from 1030 to 1430!

I lost 3 full days climbing to the bug.

Rob Naylor 18 Sep 2007
In reply to anonymoss:
> (In reply to martin k)
> A very simplistic view (if you get ill that is).
>
> Reality is as follows:
> -catch bug: then out for 12-24 hours (see below)
> -following this, you have 12-24 hours recovery whilst your body regains its strength and you're able to build up lost reserves (through the previous illness)
>
> Total lost time is typically 24-48 hours (with a greater emphasis on the latter loss).
>
> BTW, the 24 hours illness is not that straightforward or "queasy" - think violent and uncontrolled vomitting for a period of time!!!
>
> By my simple mind, this is beyond a bit poorly?

Your description is a bit more realistic than Martin K's!
Yellow Rebel 19 Sep 2007
In reply to Richard Fox: I've booked to take the kids to Lundy over half term so I'd be grateful if people could keep me updated on the outbreak please. I don't fancy me and two little-uns up-chucking and squitsing for the hols.
mike burnett 19 Sep 2007
In reply to Yellow Rebel:

just got back from lundy yesterday after 4 days there as a group of 12

6 people went down with the bug - 3 on sunday night 1 on monday and two more on monday night

it seems to vary between people - 3 of us on the sunday night had violoent uncontrollable puking and shitting (mostly at the same time!) and then being completly knackered for a day whilst others just puked or felt rough for a day with no shitting or puking ...

the same seemed to be happenning to other groups on the island and it doesn't seem to matter wether you drink bottled or tap water or eat in the pub or not ... even after the so called deep clean that was susposed to happen on the saturday when we arrived (not much evidence of this though)

as we were leaving i spoke with the assistant warden who said they may be closing the island to visitors ...

in the end i only missed one day of climbing and had a nice walk instead

m

Al Evans 19 Sep 2007
In reply to mike burnett: I cant understand why the medic investigators are not getting to the bottom of this, are they seriously trying?
 Al Evans 19 Sep 2007
In reply to Al Evans: I mean for gods sake, if it was foot and mouth they would be jumping all over it.
Iain Forrest 19 Sep 2007
In reply to Al Evans:
> I mean for gods sake, if it was foot and mouth they would be jumping all over it.
Yes, I suspect that the problem could be rapidly solved by the slaughter of all inhabitants of Lundy Island and a restriction of human movements in a zone surrounding it.
 Michael Ryan 19 Sep 2007
In reply to Al Evans:

> In reply to mike burnett: I cant understand why the medic investigators are not getting to the bottom of this, are they seriously trying?

Call the Daily Mail Al, get them onto it.

Al Evans 19 Sep 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: I don't read the Daily Mail, wouldn't know how to contact them?
 Al Evans 19 Sep 2007
In reply to Iain Forrest: Why, we dont do that to humans in a foot and mouth outbreak? We just expect them to observe certain restrictions which are quite liveable with. In any case, does anybody get it twice? I mean once the locals have had it are they immune, yes I know they could be carriers, but in that case so could all the people coming back to the mainland?
 ALF 19 Sep 2007
In reply to Yellow Rebel: Latest, as suspected I was called this morning and have had my trip cancelled. Apparently all bookings have been cancelled until 4th October, although that period may be extended if the virus hasn't gone by then.
Nick
Yellow Rebel 19 Sep 2007
In reply to Richard Fox: Thanks for the info guys. Much appreciated.
Maureen and Steve 19 Sep 2007
In reply to Richard Fox: Hi. We just went to Lundy for a daytrip last Thursday. We booked the trip a week before and were not told about the virus then, but were warned about it just before boarding the boat. We thought we would escape the bug seeing as we were only there for a few hours, but behold - 30 hours later both myself and my husband came down with it.

A few days later my granddaughter visited us at home and she is very ill with the virus now. She only sat in our home for a few hours and so just picked it up from a surface or in the air, even though we had recovered from the acute part of the illness and felt ok, so even though a few days had passed it "struck" her down.
 Trangia 19 Sep 2007
In reply to Maureen and Steve:

Just a thought, but I wonder if its the ferry which is the source and not the island at all?
Gary Watson 20 Sep 2007
In reply to mike burnett: We were on the same schedule as you. Our group of 8 had 5 ill with full sysmptoms, one of them lasting 3 days. The other 3 just had the queasy sensation. It certainly isn't a simple stomach bug! I spoke to the warden and he said they had confirmed it as the Norovirus as previously mentioned. They apparently spent £8000ish on a specialist clean up crew which as you say were on the boat with us. They cleaned all the accomodation with a special cleaner which apparently included all the furniture, walls floors as well as doors handles etc. Some of the projectile vomitting was pretty spectacular by all accounts. They were washing the windows of the pub every morning because of the condensation from peoples breath and wouldn't even let the games out of the cabinets because they could transfer the virus. They had reluctantly taken the decision to close the island until it had runs its course. The warden also sugested that there were a couple of schools in south wales that had been closed due to the bug - he was saying that it isn't just contained in Lundy. I think under the circumstances the staff there should be praised for their efforts in keeping the island accessible and lets hope a long closure won't affect the long term tourism prospects, particularly for us climbers!
TouchtheRock 20 Sep 2007
In reply to mike burnett:

Just back from the Island on Tuesday from running my annual guided trip and agree with mike's assessment. My group suffered in varying degrees and those worst effected were house bound for at least a day and not feeling great for a couple of days after that. On the bright side we had great weather and managed to get on routes everyday. Many thanks to my clients for toughing it out and keeping positive in very difficult circumstances.

Rob
Cobra 21 Sep 2007
In reply to Richard Fox

Well for everybody but in particular all the gungho ones who are going there and coe what may.

Read: http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/revb/gastro/norovirus-qa.htm

and think how you would feel giving it to your favourite granny/neice/nephew who was not able to resist it like you ruffie tuffies.

It's your funeral guys - well might be one of your relations.

Best of luck
freed 21 Sep 2007
In reply to Trangia: Or perhaps bugs are transmitted via holds on the climbs?

Curiously, when I was camping on Lundy two years ago, the loo block was disgustingly dirty when we arrived, and still hadn't been cleaned two days later. I complained to the site manager next morning. He seemed unbothered, frankly. The loo block was cleaned later that day but I felt we were being treated as very lowly beings. I wasn't impressed, and should have taken it further. Perhaps this horrid bug is the result of a general disregard for cleanliness?
 Al Evans 21 Sep 2007
In reply to freed: Ooooo! Controversial!
 Steve Crowe Global Crag Moderator 22 Sep 2007
In reply to freed:

Their first action was to close the camp site and some of our friends who were camping had to leave early. The climbers in the Barn and The Quarters were both seriously struck down by the virus so why only the campers. Because they are dirty scumbags?

Poor hygiene was certainly an major factor, but NOT the campers.
 Rob Naylor 22 Sep 2007
In reply to Steve Crowe:
> (In reply to freed)
>
> Their first action was to close the camp site and some of our friends who were camping had to leave early. The climbers in the Barn and The Quarters were both seriously struck down by the virus so why only the campers. Because they are dirty scumbags?
>
> Poor hygiene was certainly an major factor, but NOT the campers.

Why do you think poor hygiene was necessarily a major factor?

Among the people who had it when I was there (me included) there was no common thread. Some of us used the camp WC facilities (which were reasonably clean that weekend). Others used the facilities in their own accommodation. Some drank the island eater. Some drank only bottled water. Some ate at the pub. Some didn't.
In reply to Rob Naylor:

Actually I agree with you Rob, that there was no common thread, so why were the campers evicted on the Saturday yet more day trippers appeared to be brought out.

Maybe the pub ought to have been closed for the week to reduce the possibility of cross contamination?

I think that the outbreak may have been exacerbated by poor hygiene in the pub and by not isolating staff who had succumbed to the virus.

"The virus is easily transmitted from one person to another. It can be transmitted by contact with an infected person; by consuming contaminated food or water or by contact with contaminated surfaces or objects."

"Outbreaks can be difficult to control and long-lasting because norovirus is easily transmitted from one person to another and the virus can survive in the environment. The most effective way to respond to an outbreak is to disinfect contaminated areas, to institute good hygiene measures including hand-washing and to provide advice on food handling. Those who have been infected should be isolated for up to 48 hours after their symptoms have ceased."

Further info: http://www.hpa.org.uk/infections/topics_az/norovirus/faq.htm
 Glyn Jones 22 Sep 2007
In reply to Rob Naylor: Hi Rob, sorry but not read the thread - Radio 4 said today it might have been transmitted from the mainland. Apologies if someone else mentioned it.
 Padraig 22 Sep 2007
In reply to Rob Naylor:
"Among the people who had it when I was there (me included) there was no common thread."

I think someone on poss another thread has nailed it! The ONLY common factor has been the FERRY!
P
In reply to Padraig:

"The virus is easily transmitted from one person to another. It can be transmitted by contact with an infected person"

Where better for cross contamination than on the ferry?
Yellow Rebel 01 Oct 2007
In reply to Richard Fox: Any news on how things are going on Lundy?
 Billy the fish 01 Oct 2007
In reply to Yellow Rebel:
> (In reply to Richard Fox) Any news on how things are going on Lundy?

We'll only find out 28 Days Later.
Yellow Rebel 02 Oct 2007
In reply to Billy the fish: Think I'll cancel the trip with the kids at half term then.
martin k 02 Oct 2007
In reply to Yellow Rebel: there's absolutely no reason to cancel your trip at all. get it booked, get packed and bugger off to the island!
Yellow Rebel 02 Oct 2007
In reply to martin k: Thanks for the polite tone of your post, I now hold your view point in the highest regard.
martin k 02 Oct 2007
In reply to Yellow Rebel: you can hold my view point in whatever regard you like, but it doesn't change the fact that there is no reason whatsoever for cancelling your trip.
s lee 12 Oct 2007
In reply to martin k:
Just got back from a trip to lundy after the island had been quarantined and supposedly cleaned and 6 out of our party of 12 seem to have contracted the virus, as did others on the island. we had a visit from the doctor who seemed to be implying that we had brought the virus over with us. However, I'm not persuaded by the thouroughness of the clean up, as another party was being ushered into the light house immediately after us, and we had warned that the bathroom and kitchen sinks were contaminated. Not sure how thouroughly they could clean up before next guests due to move in!
 Pauline 14 Oct 2007
In reply to Richard Fox: I'm amazed this virus has survived so long... It must be putting a real strain on people living and working on the island.

From what i have read they have done a quarantine and decontamination and people are still getting ill. What more can be done?

It does sound like the next `port of call' is the ferry... swab the life out of it... how contaminated is it? The decontaminate it to within an inch of it's life. Surley they have checked it?!
 Al Evans 14 Oct 2007
In reply to Pauline: But if its the ferry, why isn't it on the mainland?
 lucashc 19 Oct 2007
We were due to travel tomorrow, but had a call from the booking office yesterday afternoon, confirming new cases on the island and offering a full refund. The island was still open if we wanted to travel, and we probably would have done if we didn't have three kids under 7.

Off to Scotland instead.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...