Loading Notifications...

New routes at Auchinstarry - any more details?

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.

Hi folks, just noticed that there's been some new routes added at https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/auchinstarry_quarry-226 

Thanks to whomever has put them up, but does anyone know any more info about them?

Like how to find them?!!

Thanks.

Dave

Post edited at 10:14
 JamieSparkes 12 Oct 2020
In reply to drconline:

Surely there's enough info on the logbook page? All on unnamed buttress, althoigh admittedly written up in that frustrating style - start 2m right of previous route. 

Kevin Woods 12 Oct 2020
In reply to drconline:

Most of the new listed routes are on a high buttress on the back wall between Dream Machine and Think of Scotland. That was listed as Shield Bay in the 80s guide before demolishing took them out.

There is a steep scrambling descent about 15m right of Dream Machine. About 8-10m right again is a nice tapering, square cut pinnacle (obvious from car park). Lomond Corner is the left corner, Honda Crack up a crack and corner just right of centre, Sector Commander in the groove on the right. The lockdown-named routes run rightward across that small bay of routes. I think the UKC page has them all in 2 different places, but they are altogether.

Email me and I can attach a pic of the buttress. 

In reply to JamieSparkes:

Hi Jamie, sure...but which one is 'unnamed butress'?

I can't find a decent 'overview' indicating which sectors, apart from the obvious ones (car park, promontory, mascerade) are which?

I might try to get a drone overview shot (when no-one is climbing of course!) and post it here so folk can identify the sectors.

Thanks.

JamieSparkes 12 Oct 2020
In reply to drconline:

Click the info button on the buttress header  

In reply to Kevin Woods:

Thanks for the photos Kevin - very useful.

I promised a drone shot but the weather didn't allow that, so here's a panorama showing where I think these new routes are. Please correct me if I've got it wrong.

Also if anyone wants the high-res version of this photo to add more locating info to then here's a dropbox link...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zsh3681iooc7ymr/Auchinstarry%20back%20wall%20pano.jpeg?dl=0

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.