UKC

North Wales Selected Guide - Rockfax or Ground Up?

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Phil79 13 Jun 2024

Dear UKC Hive Mind,

I want a selected guide for my (too infrequent) trips to North Wales. Which is the better guide, Rockfax or Ground Up?

Having only done a handful of trips/routes there, I suspect it wont really matter in terms of coverage, there are so many things I haven't climbed. So really, which one is easier to use and has a nicer layout, or are they much of a muchness? 

Post edited at 09:30
 jezb1 13 Jun 2024
In reply to Phil79:

The Ground Up is a nicer book imo but the Rockfax is typically Rockfax, good pics, easy to use etc.

Both have a lifetime of routes in them.

In reply to Phil79:

The Ground Up book is now out-of-print although I'm fairly sure there are still a few copies available from the likes of V12 and Joe Brown....

Gemmazrobo 14 Jun 2024
In reply to Phil79:

The ground up is imo consistently more accurate on topos and descriptions. Rockfax does have nice big clear pictures being a bigger book. 

In reply to Phil79:

I will bang my usual drum here and raise that the ground up guide is a more usable format. The audacity of it, the cheeky thing dares to fit in a pocket. Revolutionary.

Baron Weasel 17 Jun 2024
In reply to Phil79:

If you go to climb The Ramp of Pink Emulsion at the Range, the RockFax guide has the really useful advice of 'Take a long static rope.. '

rockcat 19 Jun 2024
In reply to Phil79:

Groundup. More accurate and produced by local dudes with a real feel for the area. 

Alex Riley 19 Jun 2024
In reply to rockcat:

Ground up is pretty dated, printing quality is hit and miss. Both have errors, both are produced by locals.

The new edition of rockfax improves on the previous version, pictures are excellent and topos in general are easy to read and accurate (a few stray grades here and there). 

You can scramble down to the ramp of pink emulsion at about mod (if that), no real need for an abseil rope.

I think there is a CC/wired select guide for North Wales in the works if you hang on.

olddirtydoggy 19 Jun 2024
In reply to Phil79:

It could be it depends on your grade,  regularity of visits and coverage needed. We use the Rockfax as a greatest hits as it's enough for the occasional visitor as opposed to the entire back catalogue of rarities for the locals and regulars.

Post edited at 19:32
OP Phil79 20 Jun 2024
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

Anything up to about E1, but as an occasional visitor quite happy to drop grade and tick classics whenever I go.

Post edited at 09:38
 dinodinosaur 05 Jul 2024
In reply to rockcat:

And Mark Reeves who produced the Rockfax Guide isn't a local who knows the area?

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...