UKC

One legged climbers - help required.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jshields 13 Jan 2020

Okay, this may seem a little strange, but here goes. 

Last year I decked at Curbar and the compound fracture was so severe I ended up losing my left leg below the knee. I am keen to return to climbing and have been climbing indoors with my "standard" leg with a normal rock boot.

There are several drawbacks with this, which are now holding me back, so my appeal is to any other lower limb amputees - what leg/foot do you have for climbing?

Ben_Climber 13 Jan 2020
In reply to jshields:

Do you have social media?

If so, drop Martin Heald or Keith Lynch a message. Both leg amputees and climb to a high level and would be happy to help. Great lads  

PaulJepson 13 Jan 2020
In reply to jshields:

Have you had a watch of this?  youtube.com/watch?v=U1wajYbYskw&

Climber_Bill 13 Jan 2020
In reply to jshields:

This has been developed in the US;

vimeo.com/102801918

Baron Weasel 13 Jan 2020
In reply to jshields:

I've a friend I'll ask to chime in. 

nniff 13 Jan 2020
In reply to jshields:

Google 'Hugh Herr' for a start.  He lost both legs below the knee in 1982.  He subsequently built climbing feet of various sizes to fit cracks and went on to become an expert in prosthetics.

D.botts87 13 Jan 2020
In reply to jshields:

Great to hear you're back climbing firstly. I'm below knee too, but a Symes amputation. So may differ from yourself. 

I've tried different types of foot that are offered on the nhs. I've found this year that the 'Rush' foot works well for me. 

It's just a normal foot that has more flex, so I can really push and smear on things, but is also stiff on edges. 

I'm not climbing hard to be fair (VS/ HVS on a good day) so I'd suggest just do what you're doing and try different ones and see what suits. If you're climbing really hard you may want something that's adapted specifically for climbing, so speak with the technicians, they're usually really keen to help out especially with new projects. 

Hope some of that waffle makes sense. Happy cragging 

OP jshields 13 Jan 2020
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Thanks Ben.

OP jshields 13 Jan 2020
In reply to D.botts87:Rush foot, ok, I will ask no idea what mine is, though it is the bottom of a carbon fibre blade. Is it climbing only, or is it an every day type? Also what about the pot, does it allow enough flex?

OP jshields 13 Jan 2020
In reply to Climber_Bill:

Sadly not available yet.

OP jshields 13 Jan 2020
In reply to nniff:

Thanks, knew of him, but forgot the name. Unfortunately he doesn’t build them for the NHS! Useful to have a look and inspire my leg man!

D.botts87 13 Jan 2020
In reply to jshields:

Yes I use it as my every day foot. It takes a battering and has so far done okay. 

The downside is, it's very stiff for putting shoes on. I think I'd go half a smaller on the rush foot than my good foot next time. 

I assume you'll have a lot more options with types of foot with your amputation. I'm sure you'll find something that suits. Best of luck with it. 

SenzuBean 14 Jan 2020
In reply to jshields:

Send Craig Demartino a message - he is a nice guy and will hopefully have some advice.

OP jshields 14 Jan 2020
In reply to D.botts87:

Yep, I have had to go half a size up just to get it to fit, all my shoes are half a size down. Thanks for your help, you are more than welcome to give me a shout if you are in the Peak District and need a friendly face.

David Coley 15 Jan 2020
In reply to jshields:

Although, possibly not your main aim, don't forget many alternative objectives lie out there in them there hills while you are building up the required adjustments.

For example aid climbing on big walls. 

Timmd 17 Jan 2020
In reply to D.botts87:

> Great to hear you're back climbing firstly. I'm below knee too, but a Symes amputation. So may differ from yourself. 

> I'm not climbing hard to be fair (VS/ HVS on a good day) so I'd suggest just do what you're doing and try different ones and see what suits.

VS/HVS on a good day sounds pretty good to me for missing a lower leg.

Post edited at 01:01
OP jshields 18 Jan 2020
In reply to Timmd: Yeah, me too!

Baron Weasel 19 Jan 2020
In reply to Timmd:

> VS/HVS on a good day sounds pretty good to me for missing a lower leg.

Having climbed with D. Notts i don't notice any difference to any one else I climb with and there's definitely no room for dawdling on the walk ins! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...