UKC

Perch Quarry - Various

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cusco 14 Sep 2020

First, was anyone cleaning/trundling on the upper tier or somewhere even higher than that yesterday evening? If so, you narrowly missed me with a huge block when I was on Last Little X. Your shouts came after the block had cleared the lip of the lower tier (25-30m up?) and was on it's way down. If you're up there again, PLEASE can you check that there's no one on the main lower tier first.

Secondly, does anyone know when Junkyard Angel fell down? I climbed it some time in May shortly after lockdown eased. Hopefully, the newly bolted corner to the left will clean up with traffic. 

Thirdly, have all those new looking three-bolt micro routes at the end, beyond Last Little X, now been climbed and graded? If so, when will they appear on the UKC crag data base?

Cheers.

The Pylon King 14 Sep 2020
In reply to Cusco:

Cant help you with first question I'm afraid (you sure it wasnt kids?).

Junkyard Angel is still there but goes right then left above rock scar.

All the new micro routes have been climbed and details will be in forthcoming guidebook.

OP Cusco 14 Sep 2020
In reply to The Pylon King:

Thanks Mark.

It was definitely a man's not a teen's or kid's voice that gave the initial warning shout and responded in surprise when I shouted up.

So that just leaves the top half of the original JA that I climbed in May. I hope no one was on it when it came down.

Noted re. the guidebook although I'm not a frequent visitor there so might just have a play as and when I go back.

The Pylon King 15 Sep 2020
In reply to Cusco:

So it was definately Sunday evening that this happened?

The massive flake at the start of JA was hollow and was being pushed out by a tree growing behind it so I removed the whole thing. Gordon had already moved the bolts to steer away from it but once I had got rid of it i decided to bolt the corner.

OP Cusco 15 Sep 2020

Yep. Sometime between 18:30-19:00. My last route of the afternoon.

Re. JA I thought it might have been something to do with the tree.

There was also a handwritten sign on the ground asking people not to climb the 6a to the right due to nesting birds in a hole. I don't know whether that's still current in September, but didn't did the route.

In reply to Cusco:

> Yep. Sometime between 18:30-19:00. My last route of the afternoon.

I will look into this, totally unacceptable especially if it is climbers.

OP Cusco 15 Sep 2020

Thanks Mark. I don't know the topography of the upper part of the quarry, whether there are public paths on the hillside above and beyond that etc. But given the warning shout and what sounded like surprise (it was muffled) when I shouted up that there were climbers on the lower tier, I thought it must have been from the upper tier or some upper tier beyond.

The block shattered into large pieces on the way down which landed about 10 feet to the right. Had we been closer to or on the new routes to the right, the consequences could have been very serious. I was wearing a helmet when leading (which wouldn't have given any protection against the size of rocks which came down), my belayer wasn't.

In reply to Cusco:

Checked it out today. Pretty sure not climbers.

Post edited at 21:44
OP Cusco 15 Sep 2020

Thanks for investigating Mark.

Is there an upper tier above the lip of the lower tier with existing routes and any new routes being developed? If so, that may pose a danger to those below in what seems to be a popular little location.

In reply to Cusco:

There are a few scraps on the upper tier but nothing much and they are not directly above the lower tier climbs. As well as this there is a very wide terrace on the upper tier. The only way rock can come down onto the lower tier climbs is either by general quarry rockfall or from the kids that have mini parties up there. I have experienced rock coming down from kids mucking about above before so best be aware. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...