UKC

Rachub slate routes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Beaumont 26 Mar 2020

Hi, I was out on my one walk of the day yesterday round Moel Faban, and noticed that in the slate cuttings above rachub there is a couple of old routes, one with a number of aging bolts and a crack to the left sporting a rusty knifeblade. Further along in the bigger 'quarry' there seems to be another sport route with new looking bolts.

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the routes and who put them up? Obviously not intending to climb them in the near future, but I'm intrigued given they are a 10min walk from my house and have never noticed them before and can't find anything online or in the guides.

Cheers! 

Sl@te Head 26 Mar 2020
In reply to James Beaumont:

The more recent ones were put up by Fraser, Archie and Josie Ball, I can't remember the grades or names. It's a shame they didn't make any of the slate guidebooks, there's potential for more routes there but maybe they will also fade into obscurity...

Matt Podd 26 Mar 2020

The routes in the cutting were done in the 90's by locals. I was involved in the first ascent of the crack with the peg - went at about E3, but really poor gear. Don't think there is any documentation on them. Bridging up the Quarry with the narrow entrance is fun.

Cheers for the knowledge guys, they don't look awful, shame there's nout in the guides! 

Luke01 27 Mar 2020

Never been inspired to get on the ones in the cutting, bit dirty and chossy, but the one in the 'quarry' is good and about 6b if I remember correctly. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...