UKC

Recommendations please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
iusedtoclimb 15 Feb 2020

So my wife has been ill for a number of years. She is now a lot better and wanting to get out walking again. Her aim is ultimately Snowdon.

to get there are there any other hills we could do as slowly building up to snowdon. Maybe starting at an hour up and down then 2 hours, then 3.

not technical but just a good straight forward walk?

cheers

Tom Valentine 15 Feb 2020
In reply to iusedtoclimb:

It would help to know where you live. 

plyometrics 15 Feb 2020

If you’re happy with the Lakes then these might work for you; all of which are very accessible and not technical.

Wansfell, Loughrigg, Helm Crag, Latrigg, Lingmoor, Blisco, Ill Bell, Silver Howe.

Too many to choose from round here!

Either way, great news your wife is feeling better. Wishing her all the best with Snowdon. 

Mick Ward 15 Feb 2020

Am glad your wife is better. Obviously we don't know where you live but... it may not matter so much.

My guess (may be wrong!) is that your wife has lost a lot of confidence. If so, the physical may well be subordinate to the psychological, i.e. regaining confidence. I'd just start walking, on the flat, if need be. In fact the flat may be better, at least at first. Just get her used to walking, for half an hour or an hour, or whatever feels right for her. But keep doing it regularly (once a week, if possible), just so she gets used to walking again.

There are two ways she could go up Snowdon - pushing herself to the limit, a gruelling day out, or... just enjoying it, loving it. Getting to the second might be a longer process, but wouldn't it be worth it?

I'd start off small (really small!) and slowly, slowly build up.

Mick

Tig44 15 Feb 2020

One to consider is Moel Famau not far into North Wales - 1800ft high and a good introductory walk for kids and those getting back into it, Victorian tower at the top adds a bit of interest, can see Snowdonia from the summit on a clear day

Steve Crowe Global Crag Moderator 16 Feb 2020

Day Walks in Snowdonia by Vertebrate Publishing  features 20 circular routes of various lengths.

iusedtoclimb 16 Feb 2020
In reply to Steve Crowe:

Thanks everyone really helpful 

sorry forgot to mention we live on edge of western Peak District 

Baron Weasel 16 Feb 2020

Cat bells is the first mountain for many youngsters with great views from the start. Good news about your wife. 

Tom Valentine 16 Feb 2020

In that case what better start than Shutlingslow?

mcdougal 16 Feb 2020

Stuttlingsloe is a good suggestion. I'd also say that Shining Tor from Lamaload, as well as being a lovely walk, would help with the kind of sustained steepness to be found on some of the Snowdon paths.

Good luck with whatever you choose. It's easy to forget how much hill walking can hurt when you're not conditioned to it - keep going and remember it gets easier. 

Post edited at 09:49
 Lankyman 16 Feb 2020

You're not too far away from the West Pennine Moors then. Rivington Pike from the barns in Lever Park or Great Hill from White Coppice are just a couple of many.

> sorry forgot to mention we live on edge of western Peak District 

HB1 16 Feb 2020

Take a look at the "walkingbritain" website. Walks of all lengths and grades. I've benefited from it many a time. Western Peak means the most varied (and best) walks around!

ElArt 16 Feb 2020

Great that your wife feels better. 

id suggest that the first thing is enjoying it. Apologies as this is obviously patronising. 

Just a day out walking with a great cafe or pub included or taking a nice picnic would do it for me. 

Best of luck!

Billy 

GrahamD 16 Feb 2020

For a first trip out, the Malvern hills reward you with some lovely views. Depends where you are travelling from of course.

Then there are White Peak hills like Thorpe Cloud, which is a great short trip out. 

DerwentDiluted 16 Feb 2020
In reply to Tom Valentine:

> In that case what better start than Shutlingslow?

The Maccahorn.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...