UKC

Rockarchivist

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 robert-hutton 21 Jan 2021

This site looks good, so passing on, both Stoney and Pete eats new routes books on it.

https://www.facebook.com/rockarchivist/

Post edited at 15:11
 Mick Ward 21 Jan 2021
In reply to robert-hutton:

Thanks, ever so much, for pointing this out. I didn't realise it was on Facebook. A real treasure trove. Kudos to Phil for doing it!

Mick

OP robert-hutton 21 Jan 2021
In reply to Mick Ward:

Yes someone has been busy with the scanner, as the contents are mostly images a lot of information gets lost which is a pity.

Max Hangs 21 Jan 2021

Excellent, cheers! 

My Facebook is utter dross and I barely go on it, due to most of my partners not being on it, so this might help...

OP robert-hutton 21 Jan 2021

Club membership test, hope they did a risk assessment.

https://scontent-lhr8-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/86422073_15159...

Mick Ward 21 Jan 2021

Ronald (13), been climbing six months, doing rarely repeated (can't think why) Puttrell chossfests. Shudder!

Hope he lived long enough to discover ale and ladies. Pack it in, mate, while you're still ahead. 

Mick

BlownAway 21 Jan 2021

Thanks Robert - I didn’t expect this to appear on here!

Since the original RockArchivist site was created, there have been lots of requests to take copies of files or to incorporate the images into other sites. These requests have always been politely dissuaded, because it really breaches the spirit of the original agreements with the donors which was to present but not to distribute the scans and to maintain a single resource..

All seem to have respected those terms and are happy to simply link to the page.

Ive had three requests today alone, probably because of this post and a post on ukcaving.

I would ask that everyone uses the contents as they were intended, and respect not only the donor agreements but also the months of effort it took to complete the work.

in the meantime feel free to waste hours and hours going back in time and reading what was written - in the raw, completely unaltered and how it was originally written - for good or for maybe not so good.

enjoy!

Phil

Michael Hood 21 Jan 2021
In reply to BlownAway:

Didn't you used to have all the (still in existence) Stoney new route books online somewhere, I seem to remember seeing them some time ago. They were a great read.

BlownAway 21 Jan 2021
In reply to Michael Hood:

> Didn't you used to have all the (still in existence) Stoney new route books online somewhere, I seem to remember seeing them some time ago. They were a great read.

Yeah - they’re all on the FB page. Still not found the remnants of the missing book(s)...

stp 23 Jan 2021
In reply to BlownAway:

What's happened to the proper web site: rockarchivist.co.uk ? All I get is a blank page.

Facebook is crap for this for many reasons. If you don't have an account there is a dark screen over everything and nothing works aside from page scrolling.

Post edited at 16:29
 aostaman 23 Jan 2021

Gosh. The astonishing thing for me is that my surname is Dovey and I lived in Bole Hill Road albeit in the 1970s

OP robert-hutton 27 Jan 2021

Could old copy of climbing magazines  be scanned and put on Rockarchivist or are they still under copyright.

remus Global Crag Moderator 27 Jan 2021

> Could old copy of climbing magazines  be scanned and put on Rockarchivist or are they still under copyright.

In the UK copyright doesn't run out until 70 years after the author's death so if you wanted to scan old mags you'd need to come to some other arrangement with the relevant rights owners.

Wil Treasure 27 Jan 2021

I think this would be doubly problematic because the magazine likely never owned the copyright to the articles, so it's not for them to give permission for them to be published in a new form (even if that new form is just a digitised copy of the original).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...