UKC

Screaming to help focus and power

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Camdaz 16 Feb 2011
After looking at some film footage of Adam Ondra, i have noticed alot of comments on his screams when going for hard moves, and some people not understanding why he does it, what do you think to him screaming.

richardh 16 Feb 2011
In reply to wilton warrior:

simply, whatever works...

if yelling puts him at the top of his game, or anyone's, and he thinks it helps him, or it motivates him, then why not. Like Seles in tennis, may have annoyed the **** out of spectators, but she delivered.
 JD84 16 Feb 2011
In reply to wilton warrior: I'm not sure, I just scream like a little girl when I fall off, not when I'm actually climbing. Maybe I'll give it a shot
Camdaz 16 Feb 2011
In reply to JD84: haha :0)) you go for it, when running the martial arts classes we use the kia, to help focus and power, and when the class is 40+ it can be hair raising, good atmosphere i love it... you know at this point someones going for it, or got the hand stuck )
 Yanis Nayu 16 Feb 2011
In reply to wilton warrior: Works for me when I'm having a shite.
 bustermartin 16 Feb 2011
In reply to wilton warrior: i think that if you can still scream you are not trying hard enough but..shouting helps engage the core muscles
 Jonny2vests 16 Feb 2011

The 'powerscream' is a well established technique in many sports; tennis, weightlifting, climbing. Although I think the term might be a climbers invention.

I guess it focusses the mind and body in some sort of primeval way. That comment about engaging core sounds plausible. I tend to do it sport climbing at my limit - it just comes out.

Oh, and Sharma is way better than Ondra at it.

youtube.com/watch?v=UlcQ3mxlNfs&
 Mi|es 16 Feb 2011

I do it when I'm doing a move at my limit and am scared of falling/failing (only on routes rather than bouldering though it seems), it helps me block the fear from my head and get on with climbing.
Camdaz 16 Feb 2011
In reply to jonny2vests: Not watched this for a while nice one.
Camdaz 16 Feb 2011
In reply to wayno265:
> (In reply to wilton warrior) Works for me when I'm having a shite.

The mental image i've blocked but the comment really funny :0)))
 Fidmark 17 Feb 2011
In reply to wilton warrior: I don't exactly scream but I make a fairly loud noise in the back of my throat when i'm trying really hard. Its involuntary but feels quite nice.
 Jon Stewart 17 Feb 2011
In reply to wilton warrior: It embarrasses me, even just watching a f^cking video clip. OK, if you're a world-class climber who am I to say what sort of idiotic noises you should make (in front of the camera), but when people do it at Horseshoe Quarry I just want the ground to swallow THEM up.
 teflonpete 17 Feb 2011
I puff air out as I'm making a hard move, sometimes out of my mouth and sometimes out of my bottom.
 @ndyM@rsh@ll 17 Feb 2011
In reply to bustermartin: You don't think if it's trying to happen by itself it takes more effort to hold it in? Effort that could be better spent on climbing...
 jkarran 17 Feb 2011
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> ...when people do it at Horseshoe Quarry I just want the ground to swallow THEM up.

It's trying! Give it time...

jk
 Bean Head 17 Feb 2011
In reply to jonny2vests:

> Oh, and Sharma is way better than Ondra at it.

I can't watch Chris Sharma climb with the sound on.

If I'm thinking of the same footage of Ondra the OP is referring to, it was screams of frustration rather than "power screams" wasn't it? I've never thought of Ondra as a vocal climber.

Rob

staceyjg 17 Feb 2011
In reply to Jon Stewart:
> (In reply to wilton warrior) It embarrasses me, even just watching a f^cking video clip. OK, if you're a world-class climber who am I to say what sort of idiotic noises you should make (in front of the camera), but when people do it at Horseshoe Quarry I just want the ground to swallow THEM up.

With all due respect, surely, us mere punters have more right to powerscreams than do the world class climbers. At the end of the day, our upper limit is a lower lower than theirs, and it's only a noise that people usually make, involuntarily, when climbing at their upper limit.

One of my climbing partners comments that when I'm grunting, he knows that I'm actually pushing myself and trying hard. It's not something I plan to do, it just comes out when I go for a move at the upper end of my limit!

Mi|es 17 Feb 2011
In reply to staceyjg:

>With all due respect, surely, us mere punters have more right to powerscreams than do the world class climbers. At the end of the day, our upper limit is a lower lower than theirs, and it's only a noise that people usually make, involuntarily, when climbing at their upper limit.

Just because their limit is higher than ours doesn't mean they spend less time climbing at it than we do... How many vids of Sharma powerscreaming have you seen when he was cruising up a 7a?
 EeeByGum 17 Feb 2011
In reply to wilton warrior: Is he a secret brother of the Williams sisters?
 Chris the Tall 17 Feb 2011
In reply to jonny2vests:
> I tend to do it sport climbing at my limit - it just comes out.
>
Climbing at my limit has a similar effect on me, although the sounds come from a slightly differant area....
 Blue Straggler 17 Feb 2011
In reply to jonny2vests:
> (In reply to wilton warrior)
>
> The 'powerscream' is a well established technique in many sports; tennis, weightlifting, climbing.

Not in swimming, golf, snooker or angling though. There's often some shouty bickering in the rallying though
 sdmi123 17 Feb 2011

youtube.com/watch?v=LdbKjPUDJVY&

A nice clip of some power screams by ondra.
 royal 17 Feb 2011
I do them once in a while, but it usually means I've not quite worked out the right technique to do the move without bags of strength. I usually feel a bit silly when I later try it again with the right technique and it's easy.
Camdaz 17 Feb 2011
In reply to royal:
> (In reply to wilton warrior)
> I do them once in a while, but it usually means I've not quite worked out the right technique to do the move without bags of strength. I usually feel a bit silly when I later try it again with the right technique and it's easy.

I see alot of the older guys down the wall who have been at it for 30+yrs that cruise up hard stuff and never make a noise, this was one of the reasons i was thinking does it come down to experience, the more you have the less the powerscream needed.
 franksnb 17 Feb 2011

power moan -- vimeo.com/19205901

what happens when a vs climber goes E2, I actually die a little inside every time I watch this.

disclaimer
the camera angle makes it look less steep (horizons not vertical) and weird video compression has shrunk the vertical resolution (everything is short and fat).
 @ndyM@rsh@ll 17 Feb 2011
In reply to royal: Likewise i might let one out the first time i do a particularly hard move, but as a refine the movement and pare down the required effort i end up doing it silently.
 Sul 17 Feb 2011
> After looking at some film footage of Adam Ondra, i have noticed alot of comments on his screams when going for hard moves, and some people not understanding why he does it, what do you think to him screaming.

The power scream is merely a distraction technique in sports such as tennis (remember John Mac Enroe?) and is cheating.

In my opinion the use of this "technique" in sport climbing is to get good film footage for the sponsors

In the good old days (yes call me a silly old fart if you wish) the ideal was to be as silent as you can and at one with the rock (If you are going to die, do it quietly like a man!). Mr S Maclure for example only emits the odd grunt in extremis. Again in my opinion it all started with Jibe doing his "Chaaa" routine on his then state of the art 8cs

And finally is this "technique" ever used in hard serious trad where maybe it may be of more help?

Please discuss

With kind regards

The GA
banned profile 74 17 Feb 2011
In reply to wilton warrior: i try not to but sometimes when your at your limit and concentrating hard its sometimes just slips out :o/ im not too loud
 UKB Shark 17 Feb 2011
In reply to Grimpeur ancien:

For some a scream helps to block out disctractions and unleash aggression to pull hard in extremis.

It's also a way of forcing you to breathe out on hard moves.

If it works for you then its all the justification that's required. It works for me.

In some martial arts that they work on perfecting their cry.
 mlmatt 18 Feb 2011

sometimes a small noise or little scream comes out as I desperatly reach for a hold and manage to get it, but this is usually when I'm really going for it on what for me would be hard trad or hard bouldering.

Conversely I've been perfecting the power squeek, a noise I seem to make when I've run it out above my gear. A noise akin to crying for help without so many words... all that comes out is a desperate squeek!
 Quiddity 18 Feb 2011
In reply to Grimpeur ancien:

The video of Dave Macleod on To Hell And Back is revealing on the subject of power screaming.

IIRC he gets to a point where he is already committed to the crux (potentially a death fall, can't reverse) but needs to stop and shake out on a hold for 2-3 minutes before the crux moves. What goes through your mind in those 2-3 minutes I have no idea but Dave Mac found the key was a bloodcurding scream which apparently cleared his head really well but is utterly chilling to watch.

Great insight into the mindgames required for dangerous trad at that level.
 goldmember 18 Feb 2011
In reply to wilton warrior: Power screaming indoors acceptable?
ice.solo 18 Feb 2011

certainly helped clear my head with a broken snowshoe during the week.

i wont repeat the language used.
 UKB Shark 18 Feb 2011
In reply to goldmember: Power screaming indoors acceptable?

Not on every move ! Also depends on the facility. Some are more conservative than others. I would feel less self-conscious doing it at the Foundry than the Edge. Same applies for taking your top off.
 Fidmark 24 Feb 2011
In reply to goldmember:
> (In reply to wilton warrior) Power screaming indoors acceptable?

I just tried it, didn't go down too well in the college library
 graeme jackson 24 Feb 2011
In reply to Fidmark:
>
> I just tried it, didn't go down too well in the college library

I hope these so called top climbers don't do this shouting and screaming at popular crags, disturbing the peace and all that. Worse than a uni club hogging flying buttress IMO.
whatever happened to the real men just uttering quiet phrases like 'come on arms do yer stuff''?

Camdaz 25 Feb 2011
In reply to john morrissey: OMG!! i just passed out (screaming) with laughter, nice find :0))

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...