UKC

Sea stacks and pinnacle climbs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Marty Smith 22 Mar 2020

Hi, just wondering if anyone has any tips for getting down from a sea stack climb and pinnacles? Apart from the obvious of bolting, stake, sacrificing gear? Also any links of videos on it 

OP Marty Smith 22 Mar 2020
In reply to LucaC:

Thanks man! 

Mark Stevenson 22 Mar 2020
In reply to Marty Smith:

One option is to have the second trail a static rope behind them which is attached to a ground anchor, then use that as your abseil anchor to descend the opposite side of the pinnacle/stack.

That’s what I did when climbing the Green Lady at Neist on Skye and it worked fine.

In reply to Mark Stevenson:One down either side

oldie 22 Mar 2020
In reply to Stephen R Young:

Just to add it doesn't always have to be a simultaneous abseil: one person just below top on one side on any ledge and/or anchored acts as counterweight while first person abs who remains attached at bottom as counterweight anchor for second person.

Baron Weasel 22 Mar 2020
In reply to Marty Smith:

The two sea stacks I've done had a clusterf*ck of ropes, binders and quick links of various types and states of decay. On both occasions I went through about a dozen ropes with mine. Next time I'll take some new rope with a date tag and a rap ring and I'll cut all the old crap and have a clean up! 

OP Marty Smith 23 Mar 2020
In reply to Baron Weasel:

This sea stack has grass on top, about a foot deep. My idea was to cut a chase in so the rope sits, switch sides to take gear back out and ab off, or down lead but it looks quite technical to down climb. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...