UKC

Sicily?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 duchessofmalfi 13 Sep 2021

Is Sicily a good October climbing destination? sport from 6a-7c required, not cold but not too hot.  As an alternative to Spain?

The logbook map looks promising but other than that I know bugger all!

henwardian 13 Sep 2021
In reply to duchessofmalfi:

Fantastic climbing but as far as temperature is concerned, that's pretty much personal preference, I'd look up the climate statistics. If you don't know what average daily maximum temperature suits you for climbing, look up the values for climbing destinations you have already climbed at and found the weather agreeable.

Personally I enjoyed Sicilly in the depths of winter but for me an average daily maximum for 15C is probably "climb in the shade" and anything much above 17C is "meh, go somewhere cooler".

AlanLittle 14 Sep 2021

8a.nu has useful little graphs of ascents per month, which at least gives you an idea of when other people think the best temps are.

Here's San Vito, looks like October is peak season: https://www.8a.nu/areas/italy/san-vito-lo-capo/

In reply to AlanLittle:

Thanks both - it therefore looks a good bet +/- other factors...

Daimon - Rockfax Global Crag Moderator 14 Sep 2021
In reply to AlanLittle:

Stats are also on UKC which also shows October is a popular month as well. 

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/scogliera_di_salinella_-_south-269...

fischer 14 Sep 2021

Do not miss the wine when youre there.

mutt 14 Sep 2021

Rain in the winter. But it's not for me anyway passing on the C02 to everyone else. That's not for me.its just not fair.

AlanLittle 14 Sep 2021
In reply to Daimon - Rockfax:

Aha! Never noticed that before, thanks.

SFM 14 Sep 2021

I’ve been there once in October and it was hot enough for suncream (and heatstroke if you weren’t careful). That was Capo San Vito on the North West.

In reply to AlanLittle:

>8a.nu has useful little graphs of ascents per month, which at least gives you an idea of when other people think the best temps are.

What a handy tip! Thanks

kingborris 15 Sep 2021

I went in mid October and the weather was very pleasant.  possibly getting a bit warm in the mid day sun for hard cranking, but cooler in the mornings / later afternoon.  

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...