UKC

Stretching shoes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 17 Nov 2019

My Scarpa Vectors feel great on a day's climb, but Scarpa Maestro and Sportiva in yellow/red (can't remember the name) are toe killers. All are 33 size. Any chance I can stretch the painful ones? How?

Coel Hellier 17 Nov 2019
In reply to Removed Usermountbeckworth:

Suggested methods include:

Soaking the shoes in hot water (to make the more pliant) then immediately put them on and wear them for as long as you can stand.  Then let them dry.

Or:

Put a polythene bag full of water into them, then put it in the freezer until it is frozen (so that the expanding ice expands the shoe).

Or:

If there are particular tight spots above the toes, get a wood drill and drill a hole through the upper, releasing a bit of tension.  

Obviously, try any method at your own risk! 

Jenny C 17 Nov 2019

I have a friend who is about a shoe size larger than me, but far less of a wuss when it comes to climbing shoes. Getting him to wear my new shoes for half an hour or so helps to start the stretching process and release the tension in the leather. 

You might be able to stretch some shoes, but stretching the giant rubber rand on the Maestro's? Not convinced that would be possible without destroying the shoe. I'd cut my losses and size up, they're never going to stretch as much as you need them to if you describe them as 'toe killers'. 

Ecce Homer 17 Nov 2019
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

I’m with you on that one. Apart from Anasazi moccasins (which stretch massively), I have always bought shoes I can immediately get on and the walk in. It has to be remembered what was done in plimsolls or even hob nails. Unless you’re at the living edge, the pain is not worth it or indeed, necessary.

Use she stretchers, they do work but it takes some time for them to stretch fully.

tspoon1981 17 Nov 2019
In reply to Christheclimber:

> Use she stretchers, they do work but it takes some time for them to stretch fully.

I'm never sure why folk recommend anything else. Just buy cheap bunion shoe stretchers like these - 2 x MENS GENTS SHOE STRETCHERS TREE WOODEN SHAPER BUNION CORN BLISTER SIZE 6-12 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LLR1SI8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_99w0DbCY64FVW

Fruit 17 Nov 2019

Work on the tight areas with the round end of a stout broom handle. Works a treat.

Removed User 17 Nov 2019

Thanks, everyone! And not one smartass hint. Will try shoes in freezer, hot water, and will check out shoe-stretchers on Amazon.

Deadeye 17 Nov 2019

I just pay for a student with feet 1/2 size bigger than mine to wear them for a few days.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...