UKC

Swanage bird bans

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LukeyG 29 Mar 2021

So great to be back climbing again, shame some people were obviously climbing in restricted areas today(old faithful area ish). Didn’t have a chance to have a friendly chat but we definitely don’t want to be caught out by the park staff/joe public and framed in a bad light.. access issues etc. It will be busy this weekend, don’t be afraid to remind people of where we shouldn’t be climbing. 

oldie 29 Mar 2021
In reply to LukeyG:

I can't get access on BMC website to check restrictions, but don't they start on 31st March?

Post edited at 23:07
 crayefish 29 Mar 2021
In reply to LukeyG:

Not just the implications to climbing rights, but also the nesting sites that these restrictions are trying to preserve.

Curious as to why the post recieved thumbs down.  Perhaps people think its ok to disturb nesting birds?  Presumably these same people probably wouldn't want to be disturbed by a flock of noisy birds while doing their own 'nesting' at home with their better half.  Its bad enough that at home we seem have a voyeur pigeon... just imagine how off-putting a hoard of sweaty climbers would be.

steve taylor 30 Mar 2021
In reply to LukeyG:

Restrictions start on the 1st March.

Don't be afraid to challenge anyone breaking the bans - THEY could cause YOU to be prevented from climbing there at any time of the year.

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/modules/RAD/View.aspx?id=158

Edited to add link to RAD

Post edited at 06:18
 oldie 30 Mar 2021
In reply to crayefish:

>Curious as to why the post received thumbs down. <

Explanation for my thumbs down at least (now removed). Memory obviously faulty....I thought restrictions weren't yet in place and started on 31st. Apologies.

Incidentally before posting I googled then clicked the link to the BMC Regional Access Database in "Bird restrictions: can you climb there?" but when it opened I couldn't enter text in search for a crag or climbing area.....the link in your post works fine however.

crayefish 30 Mar 2021
In reply to oldie:

If only politicians put their hand up like that 😁

Bob M 30 Mar 2021
In reply to LukeyG:

If you do climb a route that is bird banned, it's maybe not a great idea to advertise the fact by adding it to your public UKC logbook, as someone did after climbing in Boulder Ruckle last week.

Is there a case for putting a BMC access notice by the Old Faithful abseil stake to make things a bit more obvious?

Removed User 31 Mar 2021
In reply to LukeyG:

I wish you had come and told us we were on a bird banned section. We would have thanked you and stopped climbing right away. We don't climb here often and totally forgot that parts of the cliff are bird banned at all!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...