UKC

The Fang, Swindale - large loose block !!

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Ron Kenyon 09 Jun 2021

It has been reported that the large block at the top of pitch 1 of the The Fang, in Swindale, is in danger of collapse. With a weight of about 2 tonnes this could cause a serious accident.

It is hoped that this will be looked at shortly -  so in the meanwhile be careful and don't climb on the left side of Fang Buttress.

As the approach to this part of the crag goes under this area then probably best avoid this section of crag for the time being - or be very careful and quick when going along here and gear up and leave sacks etc well to the right or up the gully below Kennel Wall  !! 

J1234 09 Jun 2021
In reply to Ron Kenyon:

Oh no, did I break it when we climbed it Saturday. I knew I had put on some weight.

Post edited at 08:47
 Route Adjuster 09 Jun 2021
In reply to Ron Kenyon:

The block has always looked a little precarious but was very safe, has it's situation changed, is it loose?  I'll have a look next time I'm at the crag.

wercat 09 Jun 2021
In reply to Ron Kenyon:

what a shame, a nice route for aspirant grade improvers

In reply to Ron Kenyon:

It is also the time of year (with a very dry spell in June just now) when shrinkage and dry-out is greatest, beware here, Bram and other places. Gravity rules.

DC

Cliff Lowther 09 Jun 2021
In reply to Ron Kenyon:

Thanks Ron....I've posted about it too (before I saw you had)...It certainly caused me and my  partner some concern....I doubt it would take much to get it to go over...I actually wasn't aware of this boulder 19 years ago when I did it...

Hope you're well

Cliff 

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...