UKC

The Sword - length

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 C Witter 17 Jul 2019

The Sword (VS 5a)

A couple of quick questions for the hive-mind: the Rockfax guide has pitch 1 of The Sword on Y Lliwedd marked at 55m. The logbooks have it at 43m. I've lent my CC guide, so can't consult.

1) Is the 55m length correct?
2) Has anyone done it on a 50m rope and, if so, what did you do? E.g. Is there an obvious intermediate belay or can you scramble the first 5m?

Many thanks in advance!

james.slater 17 Jul 2019
In reply to C Witter:

If I remember correctly once you have done the hardest climbing you could belay in quite a few places. So you should get away with using 50's, we did. Enjoy, Lliwedd is an amazing place to climb

OP C Witter 17 Jul 2019
In reply to james.slater:

Good to know - thanks James! It does look like a cracking cliff for long, adventurous climbing.

Post edited at 11:41
 Dave Garnett 17 Jul 2019
In reply to C Witter:

I don’t recall being short of rope but you can’t scramble the first bit - it’s hardest part.  It does involve a bit of a traverse so if you only clip one rope at the start the other should still reach.

I do remember some of belays being a bit average.

OP C Witter 17 Jul 2019
In reply to Dave Garnett:

A bit average? Is that climbing lingo for 'crap'? If so, I tend to use 'interesting' for similar effect

Dave Garnett 17 Jul 2019
In reply to C Witter:

> A bit average? Is that climbing lingo for 'crap'?

Not as bad as that, but just not the sort of thing you clip into and then extravagantly jump over the edge for the best view of your second. 

caradoc 18 Jul 2019
In reply to C Witter:

We did it with 50m ropes, no difficulties as far as I remember.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...