UKC

Tracking down Bernard Newman and other Leeds alumni

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Joefraser 02 Mar 2023

This is a renewed call for anybody who might know how to get in touch with Bernard Newman, or any of the old LUUMC bunch involved with the making of The Journal.

We relaunched the club’s publication last autumn and are now in the process of putting together its second edition. Would be great to get in touch with any one who was around in the 70s/80s/90s. Equally if anybody has any of the old copies or any photos from those years kicking around would love to hear from you! 

The Leeds Uni Mountaineering & Climbing Club has a rich and long history and we want to help document and preserve that, as well as create a dialogue between the old members and the club as it is now (there’s been talk of an alumni dinner and climb). 

Any information or help on that front would be greatly appreciated.

all the best,

Joe.

In reply to Joefraser:

I am trying to get through to Bernard now.

Anyway, I am happy to assist in any way possible.

BTW, LUUMC was then the LUUCC.

TobyA 02 Mar 2023
In reply to Joefraser:

I was in the club for a year in late 90s - 98/99 it must have been - when I did my masters. Many of the active folk from a few years earlier were still on the scene even if they had finished their degrees, coming to the pub meets and using the uni wall. Do you have any contacts from that era?

I'm not still in contact with the people I climbed with that year but at least Al Powell and Jon Bracey went on to be British mountain guides so would be easy to get in contact with via their company Alpine guides:

https://www.alpine-guides.com/our-guiding-team/al-powell/

https://www.alpine-guides.com/our-guiding-team/jon-bracey/

climbingpixie 02 Mar 2023
In reply to TobyA:

Al is in my orienteering club so I could probably drop him an email through that method if the OP emailing the company doesn't work.

pencilled in 02 Mar 2023
In reply to Joefraser:

Pretty sure Bern is still in the cc. His details would be in the members handbook. 

OP Joefraser 06 Mar 2023
In reply to John Stainforth:

Thanks John, look forward to seeing if you hear back from him! 

OP Joefraser 06 Mar 2023
In reply to pencilled in:

are you referring to the Leeds Uni Climbing Club?

Justaname 06 Mar 2023
In reply to TobyA:

Hi Toby, I'm Will and remember going to Brimham with you in Autumn '97(?). I believe we may both be in SHeffield now? I haven't really climbed for years but have my eye on a couple of things if you fancy holding my strings this summer.

TobyA 06 Mar 2023
In reply to Justaname:

Hi Will - I think it would have been '98 if I'm remembering my dates right, I definitely remember going to Brimham on a misty weekend earlyish in the autumn. I remember doing Allen's Slab I think it. Sorry, can't put a face to your name right now - but that's just me getting old! :⁠-⁠)

Send me an email via UKC and we can definitely arrange to get out locally this spring - I was actually up at Burbage on Saturday - chilly but still good fun! Are you in contact with any others who were in the Leeds club then? I climbed a fair amount with a London lad, Jim Thompson, that year including a couple of slightly epic winter routes. But we lost contact after I moved on to Manchester and later Finland for my PhD. I'd be interested to know if Jim is still climbing.

ben b 07 Mar 2023
In reply to Joefraser:

As before, John Eames is a friend - pm me. 

b

pencilled in 07 Mar 2023
In reply to Joefraser:

The Climbers Club

Pedro50 07 Mar 2023
In reply to pencilled in:

The Climbers' Club!

OP Joefraser 10 Mar 2023
In reply to TobyA:

Hi Toby,

thanks for the info - i managed to reach out to them both and get some great resources. 

TobyA 10 Mar 2023
In reply to Joefraser:

That's great. Hope getting some sort of alumni thing going is a success!

OP Joefraser 12 Mar 2023
In reply to TobyA:

Hi Toby,

Just thought i’d put this here as it may be of interest to others as well. There’s been talk of organising an alumni dinner / climb with the current members of the club, which would also coincide with the relaunch of the Journal (which is currently set for 6th of May). 

wanted to gauge interest and invite you to reach out to your old contacts in the club if you think they might want to be involved too!

joe

ben b 13 Mar 2023
In reply to Joefraser:

I have passed your email on to John, who is in touch with Bernard and will let him know in case other routes haven't worked yet.

Cheers

b

Pedro50 16 Mar 2023
In reply to Joefraser:

The 1974 LUMC journal is probably the highest quality university journal ever produced, a hard act to follow but good luck.

10 world class contributors, Rick's article antholagised in Games Climbers Play.

I lost my copy in a house move but a kind UKCer has replaced it, reread with pleasure.

OP Joefraser 21 Mar 2023
In reply to Pedro50:

Hi, 

That sounds very interesting, do you think it would be possible for me to have a look at it - perhaps if you could send some photos across? Do you have any other editions of the Journal by any chance? 

joe

OP Joefraser 21 Mar 2023
In reply to ben b:

Hi ben,

thanks for doing that - looking forward to hearing the outcome.

joe

Pedro50 21 Mar 2023
In reply to Joefraser:

> Hi, 

> That sounds very interesting, do you think it would be possible for me to have a look at it - perhaps if you could send some photos across? Do you have any other editions of the Journal by any chance? 

>  

> joe

Send me an email Peter.c.steward(at)gmail.com 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...