UKC

True grit Ravenstones gear beta

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 joeramsay 17 Jul 2021

Over the moors says to take 2 size 4 cams for True Grit (E3 5c). Is anyone able to comment on what cams that means? If it's old friends i think im probably sorted, if it's camalots that might be an issue. Yes I know its not very adventurous to ask but there's not much point going all the way up there just to find out I need another giant cam, so any info would be brilliant. 

Ps dont worry, if i get it in one i wont be logging it as an onsight

C Witter 17 Jul 2021
In reply to joeramsay:

Aren't tech friends and C4s roughly the same in size 4? I think it's 64 - 100mm in friends and about 65 to 110mm in C4s. So, the C4 is a bit bigger but... should be roughly right?

OP joeramsay 18 Jul 2021
In reply to C Witter:

Thanks for that! For some reason I thought tech friend 4 was more like dragon 5 but don't know what i based that on as I've never used one. Maybe i should have said that the cams at my disposal are 2 blues, a silver and a big purple, all dragons

petegunn 18 Jul 2021
In reply to joeramsay:

Fist size!

spenser 18 Jul 2021
In reply to joeramsay:

Dragon 5 is friend 3.5, Dragon 6 is friend 4.

planetmarshall 18 Jul 2021
In reply to joeramsay:

> Yes I know its not very adventurous to ask but there's not much point going all the way up there just to find out I need another giant cam, so any info would be brilliant. 

If you have an extra large cam, is it really that much of a hardship to take it? I know Ravenstones is a longer than average walk in for The Peak, but it's still not really that far from the car park.

In reply to joeramsay:

They mean old friend size 4.

In reply to joeramsay: Having written that particular crag for the guide I'd say one of each if you can but two old style friend 4s are good for the route. The breaks aren't completely parallel sided so you'll be able to find a placement for whichever cams you take. A couple of short slings will help with rope drag if you have to reach in any distance. Enjoy it - it's well worth the walk or cycle (much quicker and there's a secure and solid railing to lock bikes to when you get to the road head)...

OP joeramsay 18 Jul 2021
In reply to Frank the Husky:

Thanks all, in the end i just took everything up there and abbed down beforehand to make sure something would fit (set off too early this morning to see most of these comments). I wasn't averse to carrying up a big bag of cams, rather I wanted to make sure the gear wasn't so specific I was better off waiting to go with someone who had another of the right piece.

Anyway brilliant route, nice and clean at the moment. The crag had a slightly neglected air, it's a brilliant one for this hot weather and definitely deserves more traffic 

Post edited at 20:12

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...