UKC

UKC Logbook Data Insights - What would you like to see?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mop449 24 Jan 2023

Hi Everyone,

I'm learning Python as part of my professional development and have decided that my own UKC logbook data is a fun place to start. UKC already does a great job of listing key information on the stats page, but I've got a few ideas for insights that aren't currently available on the UKC site:

Most frequently used words in my comments (with meaningless words removed)

Graphs of climbs by year seperated by discipline

Hardest climbs every year for each discipline

Grade pyramids broken down by year or season

Maybe a word analysis of climb names

If you have any data insights that you'd love to know about your own logbook data what are they? I'm happy to share Python code with those who are interested (it's definitely going to be very ugly, first timer code). 

Cheers,

Danny

Mike-W-99 24 Jan 2023
In reply to mop449:

In a ticklist -

How many times have you done each tick in the list.

Paulos 24 Jan 2023
In reply to mop449:

Python is a great language to learn and very versatile. I'd be happy to look at your code and offer feedback if you have it on GitHub or a script you could send me.

Dave Garnett 24 Jan 2023
In reply to mop449:

The ability to distinguish between recorded routes in South Africa from those in Australia.  I've apparently done loads of routes in Australia during years I never went there! 

petegunn 24 Jan 2023
In reply to mop449:

Number of different crags climbed in a year, plus grand total ever. I always go through and add them up each year but would be good if there was a number at the bottom of the stats page.

James0101 25 Jan 2023
In reply to mop449:

Is it possible to access all the logbook data? (Rather than just one user)

Andy Clarke 25 Jan 2023
In reply to James0101:

> Is it possible to access all the logbook data? (Rather than just one user)

Not sure if this is what you're after, but there's a "Show stats for all users" button on the individual Stats page.

OP mop449 25 Jan 2023
In reply to Mike-W-99:

Hey Mike, 

I probably should have been clearer in my original message. I am in no way affiliated with UKC and so don't have the ability to change anything on the site. 

What I could do is make a table of "Most repeated routes" for individual logbooks. I'll add this to the list for sure!

Cheers,

Danny

OP mop449 25 Jan 2023
In reply to Dave Garnett:

Hey Dave, 

In the same spirit as my message to Mike, I should have been clearer in my original message. I am in no way affiliated with UKC and so don't have the ability to change anything on the site.

The individual logbook downloads don't export country at all so I wouldn't be able to do any analysis of country of climb data without manually assigning each crag a country.

Cheers,

Danny

OP mop449 25 Jan 2023
In reply to petegunn:

Hey Pete,

Great idea! I'll definitely be able to do this in my programming. I can't make changes to the site as not affiliated with UKC in any way. But, once I've got my code all straight, if you send me your logbook export I'd be able to provide that analysis.

Cheers,

Danny

tlouth7 25 Jan 2023
In reply to mop449:

A tool where I enter the name of a climb (or a button embedded in the webpage even better) and it tells me the average onsight grade of people who DNFd or included words like "nightmare" in their logbook entry. This would be helpful for more precisely judging the level of the route.

OP mop449 25 Jan 2023
In reply to James0101:

Hey James,

As far as I've found, I'm only able to access my own logbook data as an export. As Andy said you can see the database wide stats here: https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/graphs.php

Cheers,

Danny

OP mop449 25 Jan 2023
In reply to Paulos:

Hey Paulos,

Thanks for the offer! I already have a "mentor" who I'm doing the bulk of my feedback/learning with. Once I feel like I'm at a stage where I need more eyes on my code I'd love to take you up on your offer!

Cheers,

Danny 

Gemmazrobo 25 Jan 2023
In reply to mop449:

I'd like the hardest grades in the stats graphs to be separated out by style. Especially for the trad section lumping o/s with a TR RP can make looking back at previous years efforts not very representative.

Post edited at 12:22
 Jon Read 25 Jan 2023
In reply to mop449:

I wrote some R code the other week to produce things like this: https://flic.kr/p/2odhULV

Mike-W-99 25 Jan 2023
In reply to mop449:

Oh I know that. It’s a feature I asked ukc for but never implemented.

James0101 25 Jan 2023
In reply to mop449:

Thanks Andy & Danny

Is this database wide available to download or only possible to view in the premade graphs?

I need to give a presentation about climbing training and would be interested in analysing grade progression in trad climbers.

In reply to Mike-W-99:

A few suggestions on here were quite good, so have added them:

- on your personal logbook stats page, you can see how many crags you've been at this year and all time

- on the ticklist page, you can see how many times you've led a route, and clicking the little arrow button will show later dates you led the route

Mike-W-99 26 Jan 2023
In reply to Andy Ovens - UKC and UKH:

Looks good, thanks.

hlburns 26 Jan 2023
In reply to mop449:

filtering your stats, by lead, onsight, redpoint, ground/up, dogged is nice.

I already had to code this up to track my trad lead progression, kept meaning to package it up to share with friends as they also wanted to check stats  discounting seconds

springfall2008 26 Jan 2023
In reply to mop449:

What about the worst sandbags in the country? (voted grade much harder than the listed grade).

bouldery bits 26 Jan 2023
In reply to mop449:

Please coudl you use your algorithmic powers to establish, once and for all, whether the 'best' climber is indeed the one having the most fun?

ianstevens 26 Jan 2023
In reply to springfall2008:

Na, I want to know the softest things

tjekel 27 Jan 2023
In reply to mop449:

When you go to stats -> crags, the graph will show the first 14 entries, where you climbed the most routes + all the rest. I'd prefer a full list here, although it may get a little longer, as I now know I have climbed on 433 crags so far ...

Getting the stats, they also don't distinguish between boulders/single and multipitch climbs. I did only 2 climbs so far this year, but I'm happy to say, 24 pitches ...

tjekel 27 Jan 2023
In reply to bouldery bits:

Even if fun might be difficult to measure, I'd suggest to provide other factors like weight, reach, age and so on. I am as good as Adam O. if only the factor is calculated right!

Post edited at 10:25
 springfall2008 27 Jan 2023
In reply to ianstevens:

> Na, I want to know the softest things

That too

Graeme Hammond 27 Jan 2023
In reply to Andy Ovens - UKC and UKH:

> - on the ticklist page, you can see how many times you've led a route, and clicking the little arrow button will show later dates you led the route

Nice addition.

There is a bug where if you click on the user link of the contributor it takes you to the following page rather than the users profile

https://www.ukclimbing.com/user/profiles.php

In reply to Jon Read:

That's a pretty cool graph Jon!

Jon Read 28 Jan 2023
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

Am happy to send the code across if it would help UKC implement something similar. Base R though!

In reply to Jon Read:

Hi Jon, thanks, can you seek it to paul @ ukclimbing.com please? I can probably convert it using ChatGPT tbh.

Removed User 02 Feb 2023
In reply to mop449:

Can you write a script to identify classic E0s? Criteria might want finessing but could include for instance: 1) 3 star routes; 2) Assuming a Gaussian vote distribution, the peak should be around the HVS/E1 boundary.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...