UKC

LOST: wedding ring on Milestone Buttress

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Joey C 12 Feb 2023

LOST: Gold band wedding ring. Climbed Rowan route on milestone buttress today. If anyone is climbing in that area please keep an eye out.

I’m a dead man if I can’t get it back 😭

Please take pity and share with anyone you know who may be climbing in the area. 

Thanks.

john arran 12 Feb 2023
In reply to Joey C:

Surely, in the days of digital backups for eveything, we can come up with a better solution to the Demonstrating Married Status problem than a unique solid object that so easily can be lost.

Anyone for NFT wedding rings? If I were to patent and market the idea, would I make a fortune?

(clearly no longer, now that it's in the public domain!)

edit: My wedding ring went missing within a year or so of the wedding - along with the wallet it was in while I was climbing. Never seemed to miss it. Bloody stupid things.

Post edited at 18:17
 crayefish 13 Feb 2023
In reply to Joey C:

Bump!  Hope you get it back old boy.

profitofdoom 13 Feb 2023
In reply to crayefish:

Bump

freeflyer 14 Feb 2023
In reply to Joey C:

Once upon a time I needed to dash off to help another pilot experiencing issues. With no time to lose and needing both hands I threw my car keys at my wing as I ran off. After the event, and more than two hours later, I had searched minutely 4sqm of long grass around my gear and couldn't find the bastards. Then the chairman turned up and took charge; aha freeflyer, he said, wotsup. So I explained and he said have you looked in the wing to which I replied yes obviously, rather testily. So he looked in the wing, and immediately found the keys.

Have you looked *again* in your gear or around wherever you thought you put it, and anywhere not at the crag where it might have dropped or you might have put it instead, etc.

Good luck

Roberttaylor 14 Feb 2023
In reply to Joey C:

If you haven't yet told your wife, one option is to crudely hack off your ring finger and claim a dog bit it off. She will (hopefully) be too concerned about your hand to be upset about the ring.

Lankyman 14 Feb 2023
In reply to Roberttaylor:

> If you haven't yet told your wife, one option is to crudely hack off your ring finger and claim a dog bit it off. She will (hopefully) be too concerned about your hand to be upset about the ring.

That excuse is as lame as the one used by generations of school pupils regarding homework (lack of). The OP needs to be much more creative and come up with something that sounds plausible and fits the scenario. He could try along the lines of 'I got my ring finger caught behind a chockstone and had to abandon the ring or lose a finger'. Before he could abseil down to retrieve it a Ring Ousel flew off with it ('Dear, did you know 'ousel' is an old word for thief? How unlucky was that?!').

Babika 14 Feb 2023
In reply to Joey C:

My wedding ring flew off 1 pitch up in the Lake District once and I watched in horror as it spun 30m through the air and bounced all over the scree slope below. 

We hurriedly abseiled off and started searching.

Against all odds I found it after about 15 mins in a huge boulder field. 

My mate had already suggested hiring a super metal detector and coming back the following weekend. Maybe an idea if the UKC lost and found doesn't come up with anything? 

Good luck and fingers crossed! 

CantClimbTom 14 Feb 2023
In reply to Joey C:

The metal detector suggestion gives you an excuse for a return visit this weekend

FactorXXX 14 Feb 2023
In reply to CantClimbTom:

> The metal detector suggestion gives you an excuse for a return visit this weekend

and as it's gold, you get to do a little dance upon detecting it.

OP Joey C 14 Feb 2023
In reply to crayefish:

Thanks! I plan to head back with a metal detector soon. I’ve not abandoned hope yet!

OP Joey C 14 Feb 2023
In reply to freeflyer:

A great story and a well made point. I have double triple checked everything though. 

OP Joey C 14 Feb 2023
In reply to CantClimbTom:

My thinking indeed! 

OP Joey C 14 Feb 2023
In reply to Babika:

Oh that was a lucky find! Thanks very much for sharing your story and the wish of good luck.

Arcturus 14 Feb 2023
In reply to Joey C:

If it’s a simple gold band you can get one on Amazon for £3.49. She’ll never know the difference . 

Michael Hood 14 Feb 2023
In reply to Arcturus:

> If it’s a simple gold band you can get one on Amazon for £3.49. She’ll never know the difference . 

🤣🤣🤣 yeh right, I think it's more likely that regardless of what action is taken, the latent "Sherlock Holmes" capabilities will rise to the surface and then before you know it...

freeflyer 15 Feb 2023
In reply to Joey C:

> A great story and a well made point. I have double triple checked everything though. 

Your best plan at this point is to get the wife involved in the search as she can do the chairman thing. Assuming you've made the best of Valentine's Day etc knowing the worst is yet to come, you may yet turn this around. For example, a re-taking of vows or whatever with a new ring.

I guarantee she will either love that or the fact that she has you on the dog's last chance for time immemorial.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...