UKC

What’s the Cheesewring like on a hot day?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Motown 24 Jun 2020

Hot in Launceston today. Will the Cheesewring be boiling at 4pm?

Rob 24 Jun 2020
In reply to Motown:

Very likely but find some routes in the shade and you should be OK. Have fun!

Cusco 24 Jun 2020
In reply to Motown:

When I was there some years ago in similar conditions it was an oven and hence not pleasant to climb in. From memory we hid in the shade and I got spanked by a 20 foot high F6b with English 6a moves (which perhaps I should have expected on a 20 foot high F6b!).

Have fun if you go. I thought Warrior and the final pitch of Khyber Wall (which we abbed into) were great fun.

Dan Arkle 24 Jun 2020
In reply to Motown:

It'll be horrible - go to gold diggings quarry instead and jump into the cool water - check for the underwater shelves if you jump off the high bit. 

Tom Last 24 Jun 2020
In reply to Motown:

Cheesewring needs good weather - or at least little recent rain - to not be a seeping pile of ming. 
Yeah, it’ll get hot, but there’s south, east and west facing routes so you can just move around with the Sun.

kingholmesy 24 Jun 2020
In reply to Cusco:

It was boiling that day wasn’t it!!

I think we went during the morning though from memory.

Subsequent experience has taught me that summer evenings are often ideal.  It needs dry weather as it can otherwise be pretty dank, but can be too hot in the day - whereas most of the quarry is in the shade in the evening so is much cooler.

OP Motown 25 Jun 2020
In reply to Motown:

Got to quarry about 4:30pm. Main wall just gone into the shade. Climbed Simanon Direct the Juliet’s Balcony - both in the shade. Good temperature. Thanks for other recommendations.

Cusco 25 Jun 2020
In reply to kingholmesy:

It was indeed!  But thankfully less so on my subsequent visits. Hope all's well.

kingholmesy 25 Jun 2020
In reply to Cusco:

Yes all well and hope you are too.  Currently enjoying not having to commute into the office!

Hopefully catch-up sometime soon.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...