UKC

Why do we climb? Questionnaire

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Connolly8684 25 Feb 2014
I'd be very grateful if you could spare a couple of minutes to complete my questionnaire.

In short it's for my final year dissertation at university and i'm keen to get some quality feedback and results.

http://kwiksurveys.com/s.asp?sid=cbfwdkq10r9gzc7306857

Thanks in advance,

Christian.
 JonLongshanks 25 Feb 2014
In reply to Connolly8684:

Done

Some questions are a bit generalised.
 alooker 25 Feb 2014

Done, I liked it.
 Thomaslynchuk 25 Feb 2014

I thought it was good, goodluck
 James90 25 Feb 2014

Q11: requires a none of the above option

Is it more acceptable if an individual justifies their reasons for taking part in a risky activity, opposed to taking part for cheap thrills/adrenaline rush?

Unsure what this is after, is justification in terms of risk analysis?

James
 Heike 25 Feb 2014

Done it, but question 17 is far too broad (like a few others), it won't get you anything meaningful, particularly as you didn't allow people any other options apart from yes/no. I don't think either applies, but filled it in so that you get another questionnaire completed.

I have supervised many dissertations in this sort of area (and indeed have just done a PhD) on adventure sports and the media) and I would suggest you go for some more qualitative data. Try to explore what people are really thinking rather than just giving them a yes or no answer.

Just my 2psworth

Good luck though!!
OP Connolly8684 25 Feb 2014
In reply to Heike:

I sat for ages looking at Q.17 and the wording of it, I knew it would bring problems :/

But thanks very much! And your feedback is appreciated, gives me something else to write about.

Christian.
August West 25 Feb 2014

> I sat for ages looking at Q.17 and the wording of it, I knew it would bring problems :/

You sat for ages looking at Q.17 and left it like that?

"Is it more acceptable if an individual justifies their reasons for taking part in a risky activity, opposed to taking part for cheap thrills/adrenaline rush?"
 bpmclimb 26 Feb 2014
In reply to August West:

> "Is it more acceptable if an individual justifies their reasons for taking part in a risky activity, opposed to taking part for cheap thrills/adrenaline rush?"

Yes, I had a problem with that - these are very complex issues. It has the feel of a leading question, but leading to where? I finally put No, but only because I'm usually more interested in what people actually do than in their rationalisations/explanations/justifications.
abseil 26 Feb 2014

Done, good luck.

Q's 12 and 17 I fear are too closed.
 iccle_bully 26 Feb 2014

I started to fill it in but didn't get past question 5 as there's no bouldering option.
 Pete Ford 26 Feb 2014

Filled in...not a bad survey.

Pete
 Andy Hardy 26 Feb 2014
In reply to Pete Ford:

Q9 isn't a yes/no question!
Also I don't do any of the other sports listed so I had to enter 'no' in the other box.

Apart from that much better than the usual surveys on here. Well done.
 Choss 26 Feb 2014

Done. Good, short survey.
 jkarran 26 Feb 2014

Could have done with a smattering of 'Don't know or have an opinion' options as few of the yes/no questions have simple yes/no answers.

Anyway, good luck.
jk
 Martin Hore 26 Feb 2014

Done

Q17 - Acceptable to who(m)? I answered "yes" on the basis that it's more acceptable to me if my climbing partner has a thoughtful, cautious attitude to risk rather than doing it for the adrenaline rush. But I wouldn't want to pass judgement on the motives of others generally (except perhaps where their actions affect others around them - eg their own climbing partners, mountain rescue etc)
 JEF 26 Feb 2014

Done it. Not to sure where you think you're going with the last question; why to we have to justify climbing to anyone? If someone does it for the rush fair play to them. I scare myself sometimes on rather low grade climbs, not intentionally but because the unexpected occurs.
 nwclimber 26 Feb 2014

Done. Echo previous concerns re: Q17.

Also, intrigued by Q11 and how you are going to correlate / use the responses. I put cycling, and am of the opinion that my cycling commute was much riskier and afforded more frightening/adrenaline-filled moments than years of rock-climbing.
 johncook 26 Feb 2014

Q 17 is a bit odd. Had to read it several times and still not sure what it means, so just said no!
 butteredfrog 26 Feb 2014

Done, one of the better surveys!

Cheers Adam
 Rampikino 26 Feb 2014

Done. You managed to get me to fill it in where normally I would become exasperated - so clearly it wasn't too bad.

However - I agree with the sentiment of some of the other posters. I don't truly know what the value of your data will be at the end of this with so many yes/no answers and without a more in-depth and subjective discussion about risk and climbing.

A climber tends to find that his attitude to the sport changes over time. In my 21 years of climbing I have been through phases of being more or less daring (reckless even) and tried many different disciplines for different reasons. My perceptions of risk have changed a lot in that time.

Hey ho. Good luck anyway.
 roar 26 Feb 2014
In reply to August West:
Re. Q.17,I would of thought feeling thrilled or an adrenaline rush could be considered a justification?

Not a great question.
 Howard J 26 Feb 2014

I struggled with the way some questions were worded. I'm not sure what you were trying to find. For example:

"Do you think thrill seeking is addictive?"
Yes, I think it is for some. However I don't think it is for me.

Which answer were you looking for?
 Michael Gordon 26 Feb 2014
In reply to above:

Unlike many I thought it was a pretty poor survey! Certainly didn't seem to come from someone who knew much about climbing (though it seems my impressions were wrong - I note the OP has done some stuff at Windgather)
 Heike 26 Feb 2014

Hope it works out! It's not easy to come up with the right questions, isn't it? All the best!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...