UKC

Zeppelin area El Chorro

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Martin Haworth 15 Oct 2021

What is the current access situation for the Zeppelin area of El Chorro Gorge. I’m interested in trying Espolón Masai (6a). Is climbing allowed/tolerated in that part of the gorge and what is the best approach?

JRZ 16 Oct 2021
In reply to Martin Haworth:

I was just in El Chorro and it was amazing.  If you go down to the Olive Branch B&B, everyone is a climber there (even the volunteers) and they know all the climbs and can help.  Good luck!

Quarryboy 16 Oct 2021

I climbed Zeppelin perhaps 2 years ago and there were no issues then, I can't see that the access would have changed much since. Technically you're not supposed to climb Zeppelin now, hence they removed it from the Rockfax guide but people still do anyway.

Basically you need to access the railway bridge and then scramble down via one of the train tunnels, the best place to get on the railway changes over time. I remember they added some improved fencing to stop people getting onto it around 2 years ago but it still wasn't too hard to get on if you jumped over at the right spot.

Post edited at 19:07
In reply to Quarryboy: Thanks, that was what I expected to be the case. What is the descent from Zepplin?

In reply to JRZ:

Thanks.

kylos8048 18 Oct 2021

Dander down a bit of a scree/steep slope from memory then walk back though the tunnel. It wasn't too bad.

Try to get hold of an old rf Costa blanca, El chorro, majorca guide. There is a clear description of approach in there. Abseil from green bridge iirc. 

In reply to kylos8048:

Thanks.

I've now found a trip report on the internet about someone climbing Zeppelin which gives approach and descent details.

Thanks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...