UKC

AJ. Can we open up Logbooks for users overseas.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mike reed 09 May 2020

Greetings from Kalymnos. 
Any chance we could have the logbooks opened up for those non UK based climbers that are now free to climb please?
Thanks

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 09 May 2020
In reply to mike reed:

Seems like a sound idea if there is an easy way of doing it, France opening up on Monday hopefully. Be interesting to see what BJ has to say about activities in the UK tomorrow,

Chris

tjekel 09 May 2020
In reply to mike reed:

Same true here, climbing was never really forbidden, but at least formally open since May 1, with the regulations / recommendations by the alpine clubs in place

Ciro 09 May 2020
In reply to mike reed:

Rub it in, why don't you? 😉

remus Global Crag Moderator 09 May 2020
In reply to mike reed:

Just thinking out loud, but it might be tricky to partially open the logbooks as you'd ideally need a list of countries where restrictions have been lifted (which I suspect would be hard to do), and even then restrictions might vary by state/region within in a country. Then there's the added complexity in the code base of implementing it.

I suspect UKC will want to go for an 'everything on' or 'everything off' approach, so I think it's likely the logbooks won't be open until climbing in the uk is allowed again.

kevin stephens 09 May 2020
In reply to mike reed:

in the olden days we used a biro to put a tick in the book, maybe you could do that until the rest of us are out of lockdown?

Philip 09 May 2020
In reply to kevin stephens:

> in the olden days we used a biro to put a tick in the book, maybe you could do that until the rest of us are out of lockdown?

Look at you with your modern biro. We had to make a mark with a sharpened stick.

Dr.S at work 09 May 2020
In reply to Philip:

A Stick! Luxury - Father beat us until we bled, then stamped on our hands to smash metacarpals to use as nib of a pen made out of thigh bone, and recorded log on the flayed skin off our arses using our blood as ink.

but we were happy

deacondeacon 09 May 2020
In reply to mike reed:

You're in kalymnos I thought you just wrote directly onto the crag with paint!  

olddirtydoggy 10 May 2020
In reply to mike reed:

I'll stick my neck out, why not turn the whole lot on now?

The logbooks here are certainly not a right as the website is privately owned and they can do whatever they see fit to support the lockdown. I'm generally of the opinion that a person can risk asses their choices and will stand or fall by those decisions. Whist I would have left the logbooks on, I fully respect the stand the staff here have made keeping them locked.

AJM 10 May 2020
In reply to remus:

It has to be said getting ahead of the UK game and replacing the blanket closure with a more generic "follow your local guidance" statement with links to some pertinent ones - based on the fact that some countries climbing is now clearly permitted within given criteria - removes the pressure/moral responsibility of it being seen as a green light on UK climbing if, as it likely is, the government's advice is vague and not entirely explicit.... 

remus Global Crag Moderator 10 May 2020
In reply to AJM:

Totally agree.

In some ways I think UKC have painted themselves in to a bit of a corner by disabling the logbooks in the first place, as they now need to make a decision about when to open up again which inevitably comes with the risk of being interpreted as it being ok to go climbing.

In reply to mike reed:

We will discuss this on Monday, after Boris's big announcement on Sunday night.

Alan

Tom Valentine 10 May 2020
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

Or just turn them on for less visited crags so obsessive tickers will  perhaps be tempted away from the honeypots. Henhole, anyone?

OP mike reed 10 May 2020
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

OK, thanks Alan. 

OP mike reed 11 May 2020
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

Well.....After Boris’s speech I’m sure its all clear now....?
Oh England, this fine and pleasant land, you’re on your own!

Mr. Lee 11 May 2020
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Same here in Norway. Climbing never really got banned, and people were encouraged to social distance whilst staying active. Even the climbing courses are starting up again and gyms have an estimated opening date of middle of June if all goes well in the meantime. Groups of 20 allowed in society generally if they can maintain 1m distance. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...