UKC

Android Rockfax App

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 j616s 23 Apr 2018

Any update on this? Its been 2.5years since the iPhone version came out. It feels like I've been looking forward to a version I can use for forever!

antoniop 24 Apr 2018
In reply to j616s:

Same here! I know that it's hard to keep focus on developing an app while maintaining an already existing, specially on a small team.

I'd be more than happy to volunteer to help to bring it to life as a designer if that is something that could be of interest.

In reply to j616s:

Hi folks,

We are in the very final stages of development now. I'm just ironing out a final major UI bug then the remaining work is around Google Play Store integration/the data delivery mechanism and some small changes to the structure of the data bundles, although the latter is something Stephen the iOS developer will be dealing with mostly when he's back from holiday, which is nice because it relieves me to get on with the Store integration.

We've dropped a few of the minor features for the 1.0 release, but these will be coming in subsequent releases and all the major functionality of the iOS version you will see in the initial release, ie. all the guidebook side of things, UKC Logbook integration, the map, searching, sorting, basic filtering.... the list goes on.

If everything goes smoothly we are weeks away from a beta release. I do expect the beta to last longer than the iOS beta due to the number of different devices we have to accommodate on Android and the inevitable oddities that this will expose, however I've been trying to knock these on the head when I find them and they are usually trivial.

Sorry for the delay. Hopefully it's worth the wait.

planetmarshall 24 Apr 2018
In reply to Martin McKenna - Rockfax:

> Hi folks,

> We are in the very final stages of development now....

Oh man. Don't *ever* say that...

In reply to planetmarshall:

I had a feeling you'd say that!

Post edited at 18:40
 Slarti B 24 Apr 2018

> We are in the very final stages of development now... 

>I'm just ironing out a final major UI bug...

>the remaining work is around Google Play Store integration...

>the data delivery mechanism ...

>some small changes to the structure of the data bundles...

> If everything goes smoothly ....

>the inevitable oddities that this will expose, however I've been trying to knock these on the head when I find them and they are usually trivial.

Hmmmm sounds like the progress reports on some of the projects we get involved with.  Very Dilbertesque. 

Best of luck

OP j616s 24 Apr 2018

> If everything goes smoothly we are weeks away from a beta release. I do expect the beta to last longer than the iOS beta due to the number of different devices we have to accommodate on Android and the inevitable oddities that this will expose, however I've been trying to knock these on the head when I find them and they are usually trivial.

I seem to remember you inviting people to let you know if they wanted to be on the beta list a while back and me emailing in reply. Do you still have that list or are you in need of people to go on a fresh list?

In reply to j616s:

I've got it, although on an old laptop. I'll fire out emails to everyone on that list so anyone still alive has the opportunity to try it out.

davehope 02 Jun 2018

Hi Martin, are we still a few weeks away from an android beta release? Very keen to get to try this and of course very happy to provide feedback.

In reply to j616s:

As a supplementary, I am an old Luddite with no smart phone but a Windows Notebook and desktop. I generally don't mind not being able to take guides to a crag as long as I can decide what it is I want to do. Is there going to be any prospect of me ever seeing the Slate Guide i.e a Windows version of the app?

Lakesben 12 Jul 2018
In reply to j616s:

hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!

The good old rockfax reply of "it's coming" which has been touted again and again on here. Expect it to be followed up with something about databases being difficult or some other technical twaddle. 

In reply to harold walmsley:

> As a supplementary, I am an old Luddite with no smart phone but a Windows Notebook and desktop. I generally don't mind not being able to take guides to a crag as long as I can decide what it is I want to do. Is there going to be any prospect of me ever seeing the Slate Guide i.e a Windows version of the app?

We are not likely to ever produce an app version for Windows unless something significant happens to the popularity of Windows phones, or someone develops something much better than currently available to enable cross-OS development. Currently Windows users are 0.74% of our mobile audience (iOS 53.6%, Android 45.3%).

The Slate guide will be available in book format though in early September.

Alan

In reply to Lakesben:

> hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!

> The good old rockfax reply of "it's coming" which has been touted again and again on here. Expect it to be followed up with something about databases being difficult or some other technical twaddle. 

Yes, it is taking longer than expected but it is happening.

Do you think we aren't actually working on an Android version?

Alan

Slarti B 12 Jul 2018
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

Is your programmer called Wally?     http://dilbert.com/strip/2013-01-27

I am really looking forward to it ...

In reply to Slarti B:

If only our Android developer had Wally's get-up-and-go.

> The Slate guide will be available in book format though in early September.

Thanks. I didn't know about the book! Happy to wait.

In reply to harold walmsley:

> Thanks. I didn't know about the book! Happy to wait.

And we have a lot of your new routes in there in places like the Cutting and the Balcony.

If you have any more new routes Harold, then tell Mark asap to make the book. It goes to the printers on Monday (although we got one re-bolted route in today that was done this afternoon, so we can handle last minute additions).

Alan

dereke12000 17 Jul 2018

Excellent news for those of us who are not $laves to Apple's evil control-freakery world domination plan$.

Post edited at 08:58
 SuperLee1985 18 Jul 2018

Would also be keen to try the Beta.

hokkyokusei 18 Jul 2018

> ... Currently Windows users are 0.74% of our mobile audience (iOS 53.6%, Android 45.3%).

Your split of iOS and Android users is quite surprising given the general mobile market share of <1% Windows, ~74% Android and ~24% iOS.

http://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/mobile/europe

In reply to hokkyokusei:

> Your split of iOS and Android users is quite surprising given the general mobile market share of <1% Windows, ~74% Android and ~24% iOS.

> http://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/mobile/europe

Less surprising when you look at this graph for UK - http://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/mobile/united-kingdom

Also, the demographic tends to favour iOS I think. 

Alan

Paul Westwood 18 Jul 2018

I would also be happy to try out beta release when available

hokkyokusei 18 Jul 2018

Ah, of course, thanks for that.

I'm still surprised, but at the UK split now! That must reflect the demographic of the company I keep!

Post edited at 12:52
 rug 02 Sep 2018

If there is room for more beta testers I would love to be included.

I was a software developer for 25 years or so, so I would hope to be able to provide constructive observations

Matt

OP j616s 13 Sep 2018
In reply to j616s:

Any update? The end of another climbing season is rapidly approaching... (unless the insanely warm weather continues and just turns winter into autumn :P )

In reply to j616s:

Sorry for the delay.

We're no longer working on any new features. The remaining work is on ironing out crashes/performance issues. When that has progressed enough we will have a public beta.

Cheers

dinodinosaur 23 Oct 2018

Dad are we there yet? 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...