UKC

App data on SD Card

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AndyRoss 08 Sep 2020

Hi,

Is there a way to enable keeping the crag data on the SD card rather than internal storage? It's using 5GB and I'd rather not have to keep re-downloading. This is on Android, Sony Xperia XZ1 in case that's useful.

Thanks,
Andy

henwardian 08 Sep 2020
In reply to AndyRoss:

Not sure about Rockfax specifically but most apps and app data cannot be put on a microSD any more because of data security concerns - data on an SD card is too easily compromised. Manufacturers have decided the best solution for keeping data secure is only to use internal storage which comes with the phone (and they therefore have complete control over).

In reply to AndyRoss:

Hi Andy,

It's something we are planning to do, unfortuantly other things are just taking my time right now.

I was in the past concerned about the security of the data on the SD card. We have our own security around the data but I have now read about a mechanism within Android that will allow us to also store it on the SD card in an encrypted format bound to that single device.

There's quite a bit of work under the hood that will need done in order to allow data to be stored on the SD card though. We may also need some UI to allow the user to specify what data is on the device and what is on external storage.

All I can say at the moment is it's something we plan to do, but I can't give you a timescale.

Cheers,
Martin

Martin W 11 Sep 2020
In reply to AndyRoss:

> Is there a way to enable keeping the crag data on the SD card rather than internal storage... This is on Android, Sony Xperia XZ1 in case that's useful.

Word of caution: I don't know about the XZ1, but Xperia phones have in the past had a bug that stopped them updating apps if the data was on the SD card.  Annoyingly, the app update just failed without telling you why.  Even more annoying was if, when you migrated the data back to internal memory, there wasn't enough internal memory left to do the upgrade.  Ask me how I know.  Grr...

You might want to read around online e.g. the Sony user support forums to see if that fault also affects the XZ1.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...