UKC

Creating a tick list for the rockfax app

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Gambit 24 Sep 2020

I recently wanted to do all the starred Vdiffs on stanage, I planned to use the rockfax app to navigate myself along the edge.

There are 51 routes in the list, and to mark these I found that I had to add them all to my UKC wish list so that they would be starred on the app. Is there a better way to do this or could it be added as a feature?

In reply to Gambit:

Hi Gambit.

There's currently not a ticklist feature in the app, although it's something we'd like to add. We're snowed under with other tasks right now, so it won't be for a bit.

The list you describe can easily be approximated with the search bar though: type "stanage vd" or "stanage popular vd" if you want to be more precise. See image 1.

An issue with what you see in image 1 is that "vd" is a substring of "hvd", so you get routes with that grade back too. You'll also get back routes that have both "vd" and "stanage" anywhere in any of their fields (country_name, area_name, route_description, first_ascent_description etc), so there's some pollution in there.

Sometimes there might be a buttress on a Spanish crag called "little stanage" or whatever that makes these searches imperfect.

To fix that issue, there's a little-known feature (probably on me to be realistic about it) of the search bar in the ios app where you can wrap search tokens to specify what they are. See image 2. This is super dorky and I can't imagine the odd HVD in a list will drive anyone to try to remember it, but it's there so I may as well tell you.

(The caveat being that in writing this post I've realised I never hooked up the grade functionality, so you'll have to wait for the next release for that. The others work.)

Here's a list of the functions you can use:

"a(sub query)"  = restrict to area_name
"c(sub query)"  = restrict to crag_name
"b(sub query)"  = restrict to buttress_name
"r(sub query)"  = restrict to route_name
"p(sub query)"  = restrict to partner_names
"fa(sub query)" = restrict to fa_strings
"co(sub query)" = restrict to country_name
"g(sub query)"  = restrict to grade (currently broken, fixed next release)

This stuff is part of a system I never quite finished, so up until now it only gets used to programatically create queries.

Post edited at 19:10

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...