UKC

Cuttings Boulderfield unusable in app - won't load topos, crashes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jpd 21 Jul 2021

I've just re-subscribed to Rockfax Digital prior to a trip to Portland, and the Cuttings Boulderfield is unusable.

It's pot-luck if the topos will load for anything beyond Church Ope. (In other crags, the topos in each sector load just-in-time as I scroll through them. For the Boulderfield this mostly doesn't happen.) Half the time the app just crashes, either while loading the topos, or when I tap on one to open it.

I don't have this problem with any other crag, and suspect that the issue here is memory management, because the boulderfield is a huge download, and while my phone isn't ancient, it's a few years old and wasn't top spec when new.  The Lighthouse Area (also in Dorset Bouldering) which has half the number of problems has been split into separate downloads (which makes finding all of it confusing when compared to the UKC crag page, but that's a separate issue), so maybe the cuttings boulderfield needs splitting up as well.

I have the guidebook ordered, so will hopefully have a backup, but it would be nice if the app worked.

In reply to jpd:

Hi there,

We've had problems with this crag in the past on the Android app.

Are you experiencing crashes on the crag view or once you navigate to a topo? I've just downloaded it to check, I've not had a crash yet but I am noticing it's going very slow rendering the thumbnails, so it seems something isn't right.

Can you go to Help and Support -> Email Us and drop me an email from there? That will provide me with a log and I can also then correspond with you via email.

Cheers,
Martin

OP jpd 21 Jul 2021
In reply to Martin McKenna - Rockfax:

> Are you experiencing crashes on the crag view or once you navigate to a topo?

Both. Normally I don't get as far as opening the topos, but just tried again and tapped through to the topo details, and it crashed while swiping through the hundreds of topos that the boulderfield contains. 

Email with log (from the topo navigation crash) is on its way.

Thanks. 

Edited to clarify where latest crash happened

Post edited at 16:31
 kazoinks 08 Sep 2021
In reply to jpd:

I've had endless problems using the app for Cuttings topos as it simply doesn't load in its entirety. Which means I just see a white screen instead of topos. 

My work around is to scroll past the topos to the map (just above the weather), zoom in and select the sector I plan on visiting. This takes you directly to the start of the topos associated with that sector. 

Also agree with your comment in regards to the Lighthouse area!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...