UKC

Digital copy of guides with physical copy?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tom Corner 23 Apr 2019

Hi, I was just wondering whether buying the physical copies of the guide books also gives a digital version for the app as, in my opinion, it would be better to scan a book while at home and use the app while outdoors.

Luke90 23 Apr 2019
In reply to Tom Corner:

Last I read, they were moving the app to a subscription model rather than buying individual crags, which might make this idea less relevant.

Robert Durran 23 Apr 2019
In reply to Tom Corner:

> Hi, I was just wondering whether buying the physical copies of the guide books also gives a digital version for the app as, in my opinion, it would be better to scan a book while at home and use the app while outdoors.

I would have thought it was the other way round!

OP Tom Corner 23 Apr 2019
In reply to Tom Corner:

After a bit more searching I found this on their website so my question is answered!

"I have the Rockfax book, can I get the app for free or a discount?
No, the app and books are separate purchases. There are two main reasons for this.
1) We have no idea who has bought a book so would be unable to offer this for historic purchases.
2) We regard these as separate products which are used in different ways. Rather like the Rockfax print books North Wales Climbs and North Wales Classics are separate products with similar content but different appeals."

Baz P 04 Jun 2019
In reply to Tom Corner:

Sounds like bull to me. A one time code number in a purchased book would surface.

Carrying the Rockfax guide to Spain takes up a lot of my luggage allowance.

gravy 04 Jun 2019
In reply to Baz P:

the OS manage it without trouble... as for the historical argument just start now...

c357 04 Jun 2019
In reply to Tom Corner:

The new volumes of Swiss Plaisir West contain a code to get all the topos on the Vertical Life app, which also feature a subscription model.  Not sure why this can't be implemented.

Luke90 04 Jun 2019
In reply to c357:

I don't think anyone has suggested that it's technically difficult to implement. It's just up to Rockfax whether that's a model they want to implement. They've chosen not to.

Now that they've switched to a "subscribe and get everything" model for the app rather than a "buy individual crags/areas" model, giving people access to individual areas with a book purchase would mean maintaining two very different sets of access restrictions and possibly confusing users more as well. To me, the subscription seems pretty reasonably priced so I'm even less bothered by not getting any app access with book purchases.

In reply to c357:

> The new volumes of Swiss Plaisir West contain a code to get all the topos on the Vertical Life app, which also feature a subscription model.  Not sure why this can't be implemented.

Luke90 has summed up the subscription model.

The business model is different as well. Swiss Plaisir have guide data but no app, Vertical Life have an app but no data. They co-operate however they both have much less control over the data. The Vertical Life app is basic and the information from area to area variable since it comes from different sources. The Rockfax app is significantly more sophisticated with 6 years of development and  investment in it.

The fact that people ask this question shows that they do value the print and digital as different things that offer different benefits.

Since we now control the data and the subscription system it means that we can offer discounts and incentives like a period of subscription if you buy the book from the Rockfax site, or a discount on a book if you are a subscriber to the app. We will definitely look at doing this but we need to see how the subscription and Android system pan out first.

Alan

summo 04 Jun 2019
In reply to Tom Corner:

I think os map now do this. It's a one shot download to a single device with a map purchase.

The bonus would be thst you could probably extend the life of a book or map through less wear. 

Perhaps the answer would lie in individual prices for paper or digital, cheaper combined price if purchased together. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...