UKC

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Moles 10 Jun 2020

I think some of the new logbook features, like being able to filter crags by grade etc, are really good.

However after several weeks, I still can't get on with the way Climbs at the crag appear. I still find the information much less easy to absorb at a glance than it used to be.

The single column works fine on mobile, but on a 16:9 desktop it spreads the information very wide - in particular the star rating is miles away from the name and grade. I find I need to actually look to take it in, whereas when a route simply comes up E1 5b ** or whatever, it's effortless.

I also think that if you're going to have the Rockfax style numerals inside a star symbol instead of the number of actual stars (I'm a fan of the latter, for what it's worth), then they really need to be shaded differently, the way they are in Rockfax guidebooks.

Being able to choose which columns appear is good (I personally don't feel like I need a Type symbol as the grade alone gives that information).

Cheers.

In reply to Andy Moles:

Thanks for your feedback.

We are working on a two column design (a compromise between the old 3 column, and the current 1 column), which would be visible on large screens. Should fix the distance between stars and grade too. I cant yet give a date when this will be ready, but it is in development!

Sl@te Head 11 Jun 2020
In reply to Andy Ovens - UKC and UKH:

I miss read the title as new routes on crag pages, but made me think would it be useful to display / identify new routes on the databases maybe in a different font or colour for maybe routes under 12 months old?

RD 12 Jun 2020
In reply to Andy Moles:

Would it be possible to separate the crag stats out by type? There's a lot of crags with a mixture of sport, trad and bouldering. Some like Trollers Gill have the previous trad routes and sport version separate so doubling the number of routes.

Jon Read 12 Jun 2020

Sounds good. Can I put in a request for a photo (with number?) column for each route? Likely hard work and makes things visually more crowded, but I'd rather see that than a sport/trad icon (which is obvious from the grade anyway)

In reply to RD:

Not entirely sure which bit of the crag page you're referring to with "crag stats"? do you mean the table of routes itself, or the two graphs (one on the image, and one in the 'Stats' tab. see pics).

If it's the table itself, you can click the filter button next to the search bar, and select the type of climbing to only show, for example, trad routes.

For the graphs in the Stats tab, these can be changed for each discipline.

In reply to Jon Read:

A column of "number of photos" may work well, and will add to the list. Not sure about including the thumbnail, but the number will be clickable to view the photos.

Thanks

Jon Read 12 Jun 2020

Just showing the number of photos was exactly what I failed to express; thumbnails would be so small as to be pointless I think. Thanks.

RD 13 Jun 2020

Hi 

On the main overview tab. Where there is also the rock type, altitude and which direction the crag faces.

I've also noticed the count only gets updated overnight - not where moderating the crag.

Richard

OP Andy Moles 17 Jun 2020
In reply to RD:

Try hitting refresh.

Another good feature might be if routes that are temporarily or seasonally off limits can have an exclamation symbol or something next to them? So bird bans, or affected by rockfall, or whatever (something different to the STOP symbol for routes that have permanently fallen down).

Obviously the crag overview has BMC Access info, but sometimes that only applies to specific parts of a crag, so it would make it clearer when a route or sector has access limitations.

Post edited at 07:03
In reply to Andy Moles:

I remember thinking that would be a good addition to the app a while ago, but, from memory, I don't think there's that granularity in the RAD - it's just text assigned to a crag. Is there another way you were thinking of getting it?

It would certainly be a useful feature for ukc and the app. If we knew when a route was banned we could dynamically show warnings on the topo if the current date fell in the banned period.

In reply to Stephen Horne - Rockfax:

There could just be an option for the moderator to make a route show as limited access. It wouldn't necessarily need to be dynamic - like the Info button, you could click it to get details of the restriction.

For simplicity you could just have some options, like:

Check seasonal restrictions

May be affected by rockfall

Access currently banned

Post edited at 08:20
In reply to Andy Moles:

I'm speaking outside my role here, but I think for this type of information we'd want it to be coming from an authoritative outside source. Relying on moderation on ukc would eventually make for stale information, non-uniformly applied across the routes.

Clearly that's true for any information in the database, but access info is a bit different. 

In reply to Stephen Horne - Rockfax:

Sure, fair point. Maybe it needs to be integrated with RAD.

In reply to Andy Moles:

I've had a look at adding this facility before so a moderator could:

• select some routes
  • add a restriction to them - select different types of restriction
  • maybe give it a time limit too
  • maybe make it recurring - yearly (bird bans), monthly (shooting or something)

It ended up snowballing into more and more work for something only a handful of moderators would actually keep on top of.

kristian Global Crag Moderator 22 Jun 2020

The new layout is really good and navigating to buttress makes finding things much quicker... But sometimes that is not the case. My phone often struggles to load the page quickly. Not sure if anyone else is experiencing this. I end up in a right tangle because I select a buttress then it resets because it was still loading. Eventually I select a route but it thinks I was selecting the tick box, I then try to deselect by clicking the X but it now thinks I was arranging the routes in alphabetical order which is not so easy to reverse. I wonder if there is a "lite" version that will work with budget phones or when using 4g away from the fibre broadband? Or perhaps I need to be more patient.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...