UKC

Getting the guidebook you bought for free on the app

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Phillip Benson 16 Mar 2023

I have several Rockfax guidebooks (Chamonix, Dolomites) and don`t see why I should pay for the app version of these areas. Would it be possible to get the areas you have a guidebook of for free on the app?

Andy Hardy 16 Mar 2023
In reply to Phillip Benson:

If you subscribed to the app, would you expect a guidebook free gratis?

In reply to Andy Hardy:

No, but I paid 30-40€ for those guidebooks so why not make exactly the same guidebook available on the app.

Post edited at 13:54
 Andy Hardy 16 Mar 2023

For the app and books to be viable, they both need funding. 

Hi Phillip,

The main issue is we don't have any way to know who has purchased what. Unfortunately something like QR codes or access codes printed into books could be used by someone not purchasing the book and also adds productions costs to printing. We'd debated this point a lot when we first launched the app as we were wanting to try offer what you speak of.

Thing's have changed a bit since then. We're now to a subscription based model where we update each area with new editions as they become available. We also include crags within our digital offerings that are not covered in the guidebooks.

Overall the digital guides are a different product and so we charge separately for that.

Hope that explains things a bit.

Cheers,
Martin

TobyA 16 Mar 2023

The "book" that I access via the app most regularly, is Peak Limestone - there is loads stuff that is on the app but not in the book - sectors at some crags, whole crags in some cases, so they are quite different 'products'. 

The books have their own advantages though, like being able to read them in bright sunshine!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...