UKC

Grade votes disappear when grade changes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rob Kelly 27 Feb 2023

I have noticed that sometimes when the grade of a route is changed, the grade voting seems to get reset. Even though you can still see that there are many previous votes, the bar chart only seems to show the votes since the grade change. Is this deliberate? It would be good to be able to see the previous voting. Example here: Paul O'Grady sds (f7B)

Edit: the star votes seem to be unaffected.

Post edited at 10:08
In reply to Rob Kelly:

Hi Rob, this will only happen if you change the grade system, it doesn't reset if you just change the grade.

If fact it doesn't actually reset the existing votes either, they're just not shown as it'll only show votes from the same grade system as the climb is given.

It's not really an issue for anything other than bouldering grades. Bouldering grades have a direct 1:1 equivalent between Font grades and V grades in our database so in theory we could change all existing votes from one system to another. I've always put off changing the voting code on the frontend to merge votes from the 2 systems as it's already very complicated. I think I've just thought of a solution to it though thinking about it now. I'll take another look at it.

OP Rob Kelly 27 Feb 2023
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

Hi Paul, if you can fix it easily enough then that would be great. Otherwise no worries, I am all too familiar with not wanting to unnecessarily touch complicated code! 

RupertD 27 Feb 2023
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH.

> It's not really an issue for anything other than bouldering grades. Bouldering grades have a direct 1:1 equivalent between Font grades and V grades in our database...

How do you deal with the problem that there are fewer V grades between V6/7A and V10/7C+ than there are font grades (there's one fewer, usually resolved by V8 = 7B/easy 7B+, V9 = hard 7B+/7C)?

OP Rob Kelly 27 Feb 2023
In reply to RupertD:

I imagine there is an extra V grade in the database. The usual translation for this problem is to do:

7B = V8

7B+ = V8+

7C = V9

In reply to RupertD:

V8+ is fairly well recognised as a valid grade.

I did add 3 extra V grades in the our system for the direct translation to work tho. Not ideal, but it allows us to offer the preferred Bouldering grade system in the Logbook settings (https://www.ukclimbing.com/user/options.php#logbook) and do the conversion on the fly when that user views the Logbooks.

Post edited at 12:39

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...