UKC

Hedbury/Smokey Hole missing routes in app

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MarkCatherall 23 Jul 2021

Maybe I'm being stupid here, but UKC has 15 climbs listed under Smokey Hole at Hedbury, 9 of which have the Rockfax logo next to them. Over in the Rockfax app there are 8 climbs listed in the Smokey Hole area; 4 of them are the first four on the UKC page, the other 4 are listed on UKC under Topmast Quarry. I can understand if Rockfax have consolidated the small Topmast Quarry region into Smokey Hole, but where do I find the other 5 climbs with a Rockfax logo listed on UKC under Smokey Hole, namely:
Aquamarine, Marvellous Mags, Zircon, Gemzone, and Jargoniser?

Thanks very much for your help!

Mark

OP MarkCatherall 23 Jul 2021
In reply to MarkCatherall:

Another possibly unrelated bug: filtering for DWS routes shows only routes that are actually graded as DWS, rather than all routes with the DWS symbol. Searching for "S0" shows up a load of UK routes which have the DWS symbol but are graded as trad - none of these routes show up if you filter for DWS routes. It would be great to be able to filter routes by the descriptive symbols rather than just by route style, it seems that DWS has fallen into a filter black hole.

Aquamarine and the other missing ones mentioned in my first post don't show up regardless of what you search for - you can search in the app on the UKC bit and they're there, complete with a link that says they are on Rockfax, but they're not there!

AJM 23 Jul 2021

Are the routes in question all dws i.e. could they be in Deep Water but not Dorset?

OP MarkCatherall 23 Jul 2021
In reply to AJM:

Perhaps, I had a similar thought; but then Deep Water isn't available on the Rockfax App, so the links to the Rockfax digital content would still be a mystery.

remus Global Crag Moderator 23 Jul 2021

Have you checked to see if there's an update available in your rockfax for hedbury? I know rockfax have just released a new dorset guide so it could be that you're looking at an old version of hedbury in rockfax and just need to update to see the other routes.

Hi Mark,

I thought I'd post a quick holding message, as I've brought this to the relevant people's attention; however, the relevant people aren't in today - as such it'll likely be next week before they get back to you.

Sorry I can't be of more help!

Rob

In reply to remus:

> Have you checked to see if there's an update available in your rockfax for hedbury? I know rockfax have just released a new dorset guide so it could be that you're looking at an old version of hedbury in rockfax and just need to update to see the other routes.

Whilst I am completely unqualified to provide technical support, this is the first thing I tried and it didn't work, as they're still not there...

That said, the topos have indeed been updated (the crag is now bathed in a much warmer and more inviting light), which threw me somewhat, because I'd have thought if they had been updated then they'd be there.

Either way, no doubt someone far more qualified will come along to comment on what's going on.

Sorry I can't be of more help in the meanwhile!

Hi Mark

Unfortunately, these DWS routes didn't get added to the new print edition since we really did have a lot of new stuff to cram in and wanted to focus mostly on the sport routes. As yet we haven't expanded the new information in the digital version to cover any extra 'digital-only' crags. I will make sure that we add all the Dorset DWS routes from the 2007 book Deep Water that have been missed with the first update which I am sure will be out in the next few months. For the moment I have removed the 'R' symbol from them.

As for your other question about filtering - it is an issue we are aware of. DWS routes are really tricky to categorise since many of them are also established trad routes OR established sport routes. To add to the confusion we also have a specifically dedicated DWS route. The searching system struggles to return results for routes that appear in more than one of these categories. As you suggest, we could search on symbol although I suspect that is far easier said than done.

Alan

OP MarkCatherall 26 Jul 2021
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

Hi Alan, 

Ok, thanks very much for the explanation, I look forward to the update in the next few months. I also appreciate the difficulty of imposing a taxonomy on something which doesn't actually fit into strict categories - thanks for all your efforts!

Mark

OP MarkCatherall 26 Jul 2021
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Hi Rob, 

Thanks for double-checking and confirming the mismatch, much appreciated. From what Alan says below it looks like they're on top of this now, which is great.

Thanks again, 

Mark

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...