UKC

Is there a policy for cleaning up "dummy" crags?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dunthemall 10 Oct 2021

Examples

in Axbridge reservoir

in Chew Magna reservoir

No match for crag id:27941 on the M4 Second Severn Crossing

Alowe6 10 Oct 2021
In reply to Dunthemall:

By cleaning up do you mean removing the duplicated routes or that these crags 'don't exist' and need removing?

Donotello 12 Oct 2021
In reply to Dunthemall:

People have bridges, concrete walls and plywood walls in their garden on the UKC crag map, I think temporary crags used to log routes before they’re finished or access issues are ironed out are acceptable. 

In reply to Dunthemall:

Can you give a bit more information. Are the routes on these crags listed in other places?

Alan

leland stamper 12 Oct 2021
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

Yes, I'd be interested as to why Dunthemall wants to clean them up

FreshSlate 12 Oct 2021
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

Clicking on the first two links: 

"Approach notes

Just don't bother looking. It's not real"

Although Pylons secret crag says: 

"Crag features

This is not a real crag. "

It looks as if some routes are logged.

Perhaps they're all real but the people involved don't want to publicise access. 

Post edited at 15:52
OP Dunthemall 15 Oct 2021
In reply to FreshSlate:

Many of the routes are logged elsewhere. So this is just creating confusion.. you can't have a buttress where some routes are in one crag and some in another. And some duplicated.

FreshSlate 15 Oct 2021
In reply to Dunthemall:

Can you name a couple of the routes? Some look to have generic names, and tried searching the Dawes xyz routes but might take me a while to find them with trial and error. Would be good if Pylon King or someone explained what these are. 

In reply to Dunthemall:

> Many of the routes are logged elsewhere. So this is just creating confusion.. you can't have a buttress where some routes are in one crag and some in another. And some duplicated.

Our policy on this is that we need to rely on our volunteer moderators and users to help here and point out specifically which crags have duplicated information with as much detail as possible. If you know then that would be a great help.

Thanks.

Alan

thepodge 15 Oct 2021
In reply to Dunthemall:

There used to be one near the Foundry in Sheffield called Crag X or something, the description said this isn't the actual crag, it's secret and only those in the know know. Seemed like a blatant cry for attention to me, though that does seem to have disappeared now. 

Alkis 15 Oct 2021
In reply to thepodge:

This was the case for The P too, they get replaced with the real thing after the developers' projects are done.

leland stamper 15 Oct 2021
In reply to Dunthemall:

Reading the thread only person confused seems to be you. It might help if you allowed people to email you about any issues you have with routes. Donatello has succinctly explained the existence of the "dummy" crags. I suspect you know this full well, but are intent on causing a bit of mischief for some unknown reason. Happy to be enlightened.

FYI just completed new route at brand new venue. You'll love it! Off to write it up somewhere.

PS Thank you UKC. Still loving the logbook format.

OP Dunthemall 17 Oct 2021
In reply to leland stamper:

I'm not confused, i know where "crap cafe", "fishing hole" and "funky moped" are, but others might be.

steve_gibbs 18 Oct 2021
In reply to FreshSlate:

Apparently Pylon King’s crag exists and will be in his forthcoming Great Western Rock Mendips guidebook.

In reply to Dunthemall:

Seems like a reasonable question to me, i had the same question a few weeks ago and settled for changing the status to 'access banned'.

This used to be a sandstone quarry but is now a housing estate. The rock is literally gone, not that there were any routes worthy of the name there in the first place.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/georgetown_quarry-11462/#maps

wbo2 19 Oct 2021
In reply to thepodge:  crag X certainly does exist,  has very good and well known problems and is , I believe, illegal to access... so routes are listed but the location isn't distributed publicly

thepodge 20 Oct 2021
In reply to wbo2:

I didn't say it didn't exist, I said it looked like the marker had gone. 

I still don't get why anyone would go to the trouble of becoming a moderator on a popular public website to list a load of vague descriptions of a top secret, possibly illegal crag so that they can keep track of if they and their friends have or have not done it. Surely something like that works perfectly well as word of mouth? It's not like I'm going to stumble across it, think "this must be crag X and I've just flashed 3 problems, I'll log it". 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...