UKC

Logbook / Feedback button

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Donotello 11 Sep 2020

I’ve noticed more and more lately that the feedback part of routes is clogging up with more and more general route ticks and comments. I think the ‘add to logbook’ and ‘add feedback’ button being identical may be an issue.

New users, people who don’t speak English as a first language, and using the logbook on your phone in the sun make it quite difficult to identify what you’re doing especially if you’re not paying loads of attention. 

If I could just make a recommendation that they are made a bit more different to each other, otherwise a few years down the line the feedback section will essentially be useless if there’s tonnes of info, and also clog up the page as it’s not hidden like the logs. Some routes already have half a dozen random comments. 

D

Post edited at 11:47
 danieleaston 11 Sep 2020
In reply to Donotello:

I wondered if some kind of 'mark as not feedback' button would allow it to be moved back into log comments when its in the wrong place. There are often loads of old discussions from 2005 which I don't understand how they got there, since they were before feedback existed?

henwardian 11 Sep 2020
In reply to Donotello:

I keep meaning to figure out how the new logbook is supposed to work, it's like there are comments and then there are feedbacks and then there are betas and then there is some subdivision based on it being personal or public...

I find it unintuitive enough that I just click what I think sounds right and move on... Which rather suggests it isn't as obvious and user friendly as it should be.

remus Global Crag Moderator 11 Sep 2020
In reply to henwardian:

> I keep meaning to figure out how the new logbook is supposed to work, it's like there are comments and then there are feedbacks and then there are betas and then there is some subdivision based on it being personal or public...

I don't think it's that complicated? 'Add to logbook' adds a climb to your personal logbook, then 'Add feedback' adds public feedback about the route/problem. To quote the placeholder text from add feedback

> Please add something other users should be aware of e.g. a broken hold, a restriction or some beta about the moves. Please use the voting system for grade and star rating opinions.

The there's a little checkbox so you can indicate to other users whether your feedback contains beta so this can be hidden by people who want to avoid beta.

In reply to Donotello:

Interesting. I have found the opposite still seems to be the case in many areas with lots of people still giving great feedback in their ascent notes. 

However it can be confusing and we are continually looking at ways of improving it. Have you an example of a clogged up route so I can check it out?

Alan

OP Donotello 11 Sep 2020
In reply to remus:

You’re ignoring my points about non native speakers and using the app in sunlight for example or new users. 

Essentially ‘feedback’ everywhere else on the internet could be something like ‘I had a great time!’ or ‘it was great’, it’s only obvious when you know what you’re doing. 

I don’t know why but I’ve noticed Brean seems to have something on every climb. There were loads on ‘Chepito’ but I dropped everyone on there a message to try and clean it up and there’s only one left. 

phil456 11 Sep 2020
In reply to remus:

sorry but I am still confused

1. Beta ; needed two green cams in the crack

2. Personal notes; Sunny and great rock

3. Personal notes; Partner was a pain in the neck, lousy belaying 

1 and 2 seem ok to me to be public

3rd; Not so

As far as I am aware making personal notes private removes everything from view

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...