UKC

Logging dnfs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alex Riley 03 Jul 2018

In the logbook, if you log a climb as dnf, then come to finish the route in the future your options are limited to redpoint/head point or repeat ascent. If you start up a climb and don't finish, but down climb rather than lower/fall then come back and do the route without falling, it's still an onsight. Could the logbook be changed to accommodate this?

tehmarks 03 Jul 2018
In reply to Alex Riley:

Ground up perhaps - but it's not an onsight. You didn't climb it 'on sight'.

mrphilipoldham 03 Jul 2018
In reply to tehmarks:

It is what it is, there are many reasons for down climbing other than ability. What difference does it make if you stand there for 4 hours figuring out what to do, or go away, have a cup of tea, then come back and climb it? I still claim an onsight if I down climb then succeed at a later time/date. If you wish to be that pure then using a guidebook and having a pre-knowledge of the grade and route would mean nothing was an onsight.

In reply to Alex Riley: Just log it as whatever then go back and edit it. For some reason it then gives you all the options.

zv 03 Jul 2018
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

I always thought having a cup of tea counts as aid? 

OP Alex Riley 03 Jul 2018
In reply to tehmarks:

My point is you can't log it as either. I'm not too fussed, but I'd rather log it right.

It would be ground up with a fall.

tehmarks 03 Jul 2018
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

Apologies, I misread the OP and thought it was referring to a DNF after falling. I still personally wouldn't log an onsight if I'd downclimbed and cleared my head on terra firma, but equally I couldn't really care less what other people log it as

tehmarks 03 Jul 2018
In reply to Alex Riley:

That ground up isn't an option is a bit dull - assuming that a DNF means a fall or lowered on gear obviously isn't quite correct.

As things stand I'd probably delete my original attempt and note as a note on the successful attempt.

OP Alex Riley 03 Jul 2018
In reply to tehmarks:

Yes, that was really my point, that there is just a bit of a gap in how you can log, for example it makes sense to not be able to log a route as dogged, then onsight but dnf is a bit less defined and has more nuance.

I seem to have ruffled a few feathers dislike wise haha 

Mr. Lee 03 Jul 2018
In reply to Alex Riley:

Read your replies! Duncan Campbell has already told you what to do. 

mrphilipoldham 03 Jul 2018
In reply to tehmarks:

Exactly!  

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...