UKC

Missing crag on app.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mattress 26 Sep 2020

Shorn Cliff (Wye Valley) is not on the crag map using the Rockfax app but is if viewed using UKclimbing.com

Using the Search bar finds the crag but it can't be viewed.

Shorn Cliff

In reply to Mattress:

Hi

There are many crags that are listed on UKC that aren’t on the Rockfax app however part of the functionality of the app is to allow access to the more basic UKC listing. This is why it can sometimes appear that a crag is included, but when you look deeper it isn’t really since it is just the routes list.

To give full coverage for a crag, including topos and route descriptions, is a lot of work and in the past we have mostly done this when preparing a printed guidebook. Now we are producing many more app-only crags.

Shorn Cliff is a crag that has never been in a printed Rockfax book and as such is one that is on our list to document but this is a slow process since there are only a few of us doing it.

Crags that have routes that are included In the app are listed in UKC logbooks with an ‘R’ icon.

In the app the crags that you can get topos for are under the Crags tab, not the Logbook tab.

Hope this helps.

Alan

andyb211 27 Sep 2020
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

Hi Al

Just been dragged into the 21st century by my son who got me my rockfax app

It's great : )

Tell Chris he till owes me a pint ; ) and ta for the T shirt.

Andy x

OP Mattress 19 Oct 2020

Sorry for the delay in replying. I get the distinction between the UKC and Rockfax functionality, I was commenting that the crag map on the app showed minor, non-Rockfax crags, (e.g Plumweir cliff, a trivial crag a few hundred metres from Shorncliff) but this single, significant crag seemed to be missing. I realise it wouldn't have Topos or Rockfax functionality, but it appeared to have disappeared from the database.

leland stamper 19 Oct 2020
In reply to Mattress:

Buy the guide. Keep guidebook writers in a job.

OP Mattress 19 Oct 2020
In reply to leland stamper:

Had two, but gave away my spare. I helped route check a couple and submitted photos but only one was used in the end. The CC guidebook writers didn't do it as a job, but they did a great job.

The supplement is out of print.

Whilst trail running through the woods I didn't have a guidebook, only a phone, and I wondered which route I was stood beneath.

In reply to Mattress:

> Sorry for the delay in replying. I get the distinction between the UKC and Rockfax functionality, I was commenting that the crag map on the app showed minor, non-Rockfax crags, (e.g Plumweir cliff, a trivial crag a few hundred metres from Shorncliff) but this single, significant crag seemed to be missing. I realise it wouldn't have Topos or Rockfax functionality, but it appeared to have disappeared from the database.

Shorn Cliff is there however you need to zoom in a bit. The algorithm to display the crags clusters crags when you zoom out and displays one name and then says '+ 1 more' or '+2 more' etc. If you zoom out far enough then you get '3461' crags in the UK for example. This is quite a complex function since it needs to display what fits depending on what zoom level you choose.

Obviously, there is a logic in choosing certain better known or bigger crags over others when selecting which name to prioritise on a cluster of several crags although this isn't always going to be the crag with the most routes. There is room for improvement here I can see but it is not hi-priority at the moment.

Of course, you can just type 'Shorn...' in the search box at the top of the map tab to find it.

Alan

OP Mattress 20 Oct 2020

So I get all that, and, for every other crag I've ever viewed on the Rockfax App, that's how it works. But, for whatever reason (at any zoom level), Shorn Cliff doesn't show up on the map using the Rockfax App (on Android).

Typing Shorn Cliff into the search box "offers" the crag but clicking it does nothing.

I'm not making a fuss, nor too upset - I thought this might be the right forum to report a bug.

Photo linked:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14vZR4tvvti0Q5F32NcK1qOSVvVJMsmAD/view?usp=...

In reply to Mattress:

Hi Mattress,

Thanks for letting us know about that.

I think I see what the issue is. The app looks like it's failing to fetch updates on UKC crag markers sometimes when it's launched.

I'm just going to take a look into that and I'll push a release out. It shouldn't be a major issue to fix.

Cheers,
Martin

OP Mattress 20 Oct 2020
In reply to Martin McKenna - Rockfax:

Thanks Martin.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...