UKC

Rockfax app feedback

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 snoop6060 18 Oct 2021

Some musings as I've just spent another week relying on it solely in Mallorca. Android this is. 

1) it doesn't have a confirmation when you click the bin button to delete a download. This is highly irratating if you fat finger the whole guidebook into oblivion when sat at a crag with no signal! This will defo piss a few people off as roaming charges are back. 

2) The offline maps are great but if you click on a crag it takes you to a buttress at that crag. It would be better if it took you to the overall crag description. 

3) it should order your downloads on last access time. As much as I love curbar it doesn't need to sit at the top of my list when I'm constantly looking at crags in Mallorca. It'd be nice if as soon as I launched the app the last accessed guidebook was right in front of me. As it happens I was constantly having to search Mallorca in the downloads section. Over and over again. Sure, it works and I find the guide but it's clunky. 

4) is it possible to show your current location on the offline maps? I suspect th0at might take quite a bit of work but it'd be nice. 

5) in general I find the layout a bit odd. I mean might just be me but as per point 3 it's just a bit clunky. The downloads / installed thing for example. When on installed I can't click on the guidebook, just specific crags. I have to search the guide in downloads to get the full guide summary and map. I can get the whole map from any of the crag pages of course so it's not the end of the world, just could be slicker I think. 

Anyway worked great otherwise. Just some general feedback really. 

thepodge 18 Oct 2021
In reply to snoop6060:

I'd echo the points above, I find it quite clunky and not that user friendly. Its good but seems like it could be really good by just making it easier to use. 

robert-hutton 18 Oct 2021
In reply to thepodge:

Also agree, it's a poor relation of UKC logbook but with crag photos which is what you need for route location, needs a rethink and do we need something small and tight just for crag usage or something bigger and better but perhaps more clumsy.

In reply to snoop6060:

Hi there,

Thanks for the feedback. 

1) Yes, that's not ideal. I'll address that asap. I think the crag shouldn't be removed until you restart the app. This was to allow users to quickly remove a bunch of crags without having to go through dialogs to confirm each one, but also to stop accidental deletion (you area supposed to be able to undo the delete action). I think this just needs a rethink though. I'll note that down.

2) iOS has  a long press menu (again, not ideal as it is quite hidden) that allows you to navigate to the crag. We could possibly introduce a context menu or something for this.

3) We've struggled a bit with the design of the crags list, but I like this suggestion.

4) This is something we're working on, although it's been parked again for the last few weeks while we've been sorting issues with our subscription system. It will be available on Android and is our primary development focus on the app. It's currently available on iOS.

5) We've had some feedback like this before. It may be that we have still retained some design from when we sold crags as packages. Maybe this can change now. I'll chat again to the team about this.

On a general note, the Android app is still quite a bit behind iOS for various reasons. We're working on correcting this. We've taken on new staff in order to free up development time for the Android app, so we're hoping to have incremental releases coming out again through the winter and onwards.

Cheers,

Martin

OP snoop6060 18 Oct 2021
In reply to Martin McKenna - Rockfax:

No probs. In general, and as the other posters above say too, it's not so much that the current interface needs tweaking, more so that I think it needs rethinking and just made simpler. Underneath the main interface the app works great. The topos, clicking on the route lines etc, the crags, the maps and all that are great when you get to them. It's just getting to them is weird and takes way more typing/clicking than it should.

I just wanna launch the app and there is the cover pic of the guidebook I accessed most recently.  Front and center, no clicking/searching, nothing. Under that is the one before that. I click on the pic and there is the map, access info and a list of crags. The ones I have downloaded locally should have a little icon to say that and the ones I don't have saved should still be accessible if I have internet (I.e without downloading them). I can give them a quick look and download if needed. 

And that's pretty much it don't use the logbooks (way easier on the site even on a phone) or any of the other stuff. The UKC map is useful tho.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...