UKC

Rockfax app instability on Samsung Galaxy S20+

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Nik 13 May 2020

I'm having problems with the 'filter installed crags' search in the Rockfax app - if I try to use it at all the app crashes and the android OS gives me a message saying that the app keeps stopping. As far as I can tell, browsing through the crags in other ways, eg, just going down the list of installed ones until I find it seems to be working fine.

I have recently switched from a Google Pixel 3 to a Samsung Galaxy S20+ and don't think I was having this issue before, could it be something specific to the Samsung flavour of Android? If anyone could advise of a fix that would be great

Thanks!

In reply to Nik:

Hi Nik,

Thanks for alerting us to this. I've just had a look at our crash reporting and it looks like it might be an issue with what data the app was expecting when filtering. Probably not device specific it's just you've uncovered an issue.

I'll dive into that tomorrow and see if I can get a release out to fix this week.

Cheers,
Martin

jbrom 13 May 2020
In reply to Martin McKenna - Rockfax:

I've been having the same problem for a few weeks. The moment you try to type in the filter crags box the app completely crashes.

Samsung Galaxy S9 running Android 10. So not device specific, incase that helps.

In reply to Nik:

Hey guys,

We discovered an issue with the data that was actually leading to the app crashing. We've updated the data and are going to update the app to prevent that happening in the future.

Updating the data server side seems to prevent the crash for me here. If you guys can let me know if it's fixed for you then that will at least let me know we had same issue.

Cheers,
Martin

OP Nik 21 May 2020

Is this something that should in theory be sorted for me now or am I waiting on Google to OK an update? Still getting the same issue at the moment

Cheers.

TobyA 21 May 2020

I don't know if real humans, i.e. you! , read the crash reports that Android sends after the app crashes - but I've sent a few in recent days. I don't know why but I'm having to refresh all my installed crags - its like the app knows I've downloaded them but has lost all the data. And when its finished refreshing the crag, it app crashes, everytime.  Is this the same issue?

I tried downloading the maps data today, as the app prompted and that crashed it too.

jbrom 21 May 2020

Still doing it for me. I looked for an update in Google play, but nothing showed.

In reply to jbrom:

Hi,

I've rolled it out to around 50% of the userbase last night. I've just rolled it out to everyone there so it'll be appearing today for you. I had to do some database migration stuff so I always ease it out in case that causes an issues itself.

I'm hoping this should fix the issue although I am slightly concerned it's still happening for yourself after this server side fix we pushed out. Let me know either way if you can.

Cheers,
Martin

Post edited at 08:29
 jbrom 22 May 2020

Checked the Play store this morning and there was an update available.

I have updated and the problem has been fixed, I can now search in the filter crag box without the app crashing.

Thanks for sorting this.

In reply to jbrom:

Excellent.

Can you do me a favour and submit a log file to me? You can do this under Settings -> Email Us. Just put the body as "For Martin" or something. There will be some information within that log that I can use to make sure the underlying data on the app is all good.

Cheers,
Martin

jbrom 22 May 2020

Hi Martin, that should have been sent. Let me know if you need me to re-send.

OP Nik 24 May 2020

That seems to have done the trick, thanks Martin

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...