UKC

Rockfax App: New Scottish Winter + Android Update

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Scottish Winter Climbs

Together with the SMC we've just released 26 new crags from Scottish Winter Climbs, the SMC's select winter guide to Scotland. This brings the total Scottish Winter crags to 46 with over 1000 routes and covers all the crags in Scottish Winter Climbs that feature a diagram. Although it's now the effectively the end of the season due to the stay home instruction from the government, you can at least browse these in preparation for next winter.

An Teallach - Bidein a' Gh...
Aonach Dubh
Aonach Dubh
Beinn an Dothaidh
Beinn an Lochain
Beinn Bhan
Beinn Dearg
Beinn Udlaidh
Beinn Ime
Ben Cruachan
Bidean nam Bian
Beinn Dorain
Creag Coire an Dothaidh
Creag Coire an t-Slugain
Druim Shionnach
Fuar Tholl
Gearr Aonach
Lochnagar
The Lost Valley (Coire Gabhail)
​​​​​​​ Meall Gorm
​​​​​​​ Sgurr nan Clach Geala
​​​​​​​ Sgorr Ruadh
​​​​​​​ Coire na h-eilde
​​​​​​​ Stob Ban
​​​​​​​ Stob Coire an Laoigh
​​​​​​​ Bidean nam Bian - Stob Coire na...

Android Update

We're working on bringing all the features available on iOS to the Android app and we expect to have a more regular release schedule over the coming months. In this release we have updated the Crags view to bring it in line with iOS, made some minor tweaks to the UI and fixed a few bugs and crashes.

https://apps.apple.com/app/id786215304​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​ https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rockfax.rockfax.rockfax

TobyA 30 Mar 2020
In reply to Martin McKenna - Rockfax:

I shall go and peruse some of scenes of my misspent (actually, rather well-spent) youth!

Is the colour banding not a bit out, with modern equipment.

In my view it should be something like this:

Green: I to III

Orange: IV and V

Red: VI and VII

Black: VIII and harder

Post edited at 17:22
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

Hey Tom. 

We've reviewed the colour breakdown for Scottish grades. We're sticking with what we've got at the lower grades, but agree with you that VI should be red. 

Note that we've just added a white band for "elite" routes, which starts at IX for Scottish grades. 

I'll do another release with the colour changes in in the coming days. There's also an iOS release coming that fixes some issues surrounding Scottish grade-ordering. 

arose 31 Mar 2020

Is there a place for feedback for some of the Scottish Winter stuff on the App?  On the newer uploads the approach times are wrong (not in a pedantic way - a few of them say 1min or 0mins and Cruachan is described as "Roadside"!)

In reply to arose:

Hey Ali,

We picked your comments up on instagram about some of the appraoch times being wrong, so they're now fixed and we're going to release an update to the data. If you've got any more feedback we'd like to hear it. Just fire it over to support [at] rockfax dot com.

Cheers,
Martin

Post edited at 11:27
In reply to arose:

Those approach times are now fixed, and the latest packages are live. Thanks for the report.

These new packages have the grade-colour band change we discussed in this thread.

Martin and I are discussing the best way to allow data errors to be reported, or app bugs, suggestions etc. Once we figure it out we'll announce it in this forum.

arose 06 Apr 2020
In reply to Stephen Horne - Rockfax:

Great to see how quick you guys can fix issues with something like this - The other major thing I noticed was that the "weather and conditions" part of the West Face of Aonach Mor is incorrect.  It is a description of the East face which is significantly different in style of climbing, build up and risk.  

Offwidth 06 Apr 2020
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

I was always a better winter leader than a trad leader but even so I'd have orange as III and IV. The winter equivalents of HS to HVS, in terms of experience, equipment needs and relative numbers climbing the routes.

In reply to arose:

Thanks. I'll get Lovell to check this out and release an update. 

We're a little swamped right now so I'm putting this on my medium-term list seeing as no one can go there anyway. Should get it done in the next week or so.

robertmichaellovell Global Crag Moderator 06 Apr 2020

No problem Horne, I'll check it out

Thanks Fatboy, I was a little concerned as black routes are beyond my pay grade.

Hope lockdown is treating you okay.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...