UKC

Rockfax Lake District climbs front cover

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
In reply to Tyler:

Nimrod

Jon Stewart 31 Jul 2019
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

> Nimrod

I'm not sure about that but I don't have a better suggestion... 

Scott Quinn 31 Jul 2019

Yup Id agree with that pitch 1 of Nimrod - Dow

krikoman 31 Jul 2019
In reply to Tyler:

I don't know

Jon Stewart 31 Jul 2019
In reply to Scott Quinn:

It's not as good as that in real life... 

Right crag, wrong route 😉

OP Tyler 31 Jul 2019
In reply to Jon Stewart:

That was my thought, too good to be Nimrod

Jon Stewart 31 Jul 2019
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Tarkus? 

OP Tyler 31 Jul 2019

Interesting how many don't know! It used to be the case that guide covers had an iconic or recent hard route. This one's a bit anodyne its doesn't say 'climb me' so much as, 'there are some climbs here'. So this isn't considered anti-Rockfax I'd say this seems to be a trend, I can't think of a recent UK guide with a truly memorable cover - could be my rose tinted specs though.

Luke90 31 Jul 2019
In reply to Tyler:

> I can't think of a recent UK guide with a truly memorable cover - could be my rose tinted specs though.

Could be that we're spoiled with easy access to loads of striking climbing photos these days so it's harder to stand out.

Luke90 31 Jul 2019

Off topic but about the guide in question...

When will new Rockfax guides make it onto the app? Simultaneously with release of the physical book? In advance of it? Delayed a bit?

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 31 Jul 2019
In reply to Luke90:

Alan is away on his summer holiday, if you ask again in a few weeks you might get and answer.

Chris

PS for what its worth, I assume they will come out close together

simondgee 31 Jul 2019
In reply to Jon Stewart:

was thinking more Pink Panther ....though i just checked and its 29 years since i did it so the step off the glacier is gone along with my memory

sammy5000 31 Jul 2019
In reply to Tyler:

Rough i think i remember climbing that groove some 20 years ago

Jon Stewart 31 Jul 2019
In reply to Bulls Crack:

And points mean...? 

simondgee 01 Aug 2019
In reply to Jon Stewart:

chapeau...!

In reply to Jon Stewart:

Top marks Jon, well done.

In reply to Tyler:

I’m away at our very own Nick Brown’s wedding at the moment, but will craft a better response upon my return to the office next week, as it’s an interesting point/discussion.

I actually like the cover shot, and this is the first time I’ve heard any negative feedback about it. That said, there is a chance it will subtly change - at least as far as the text is concerned - as Ramon (the cover star + creator of the recently updated UKC logo) has been playing around with some different fonts + designs.

That said, this doesn’t answer your question, which I’ll mull over when I’ve got my guides in front of me. My gut reaction is to actually agree with the rose tinted goggles comment, because I have a feeling that I feel the same way too - old school is the best school as far as magazines, guidebooks, and coffee table books are concerned (or at least it is where the cover is concerned).

In reply to Luke90:

The app release usually pre-dates the availability in the shops by a week or so.

Once the InDesign doc is finalised for the guide, it's basically a race between the printing and delivering to the UK and the app team converting the InDesign data into crag/route data for the app.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...