UKC

UKC crag page, weather stats

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kwoods 18 Apr 2019

I have to say, I'm totally loving the Stats tab in the crags pages. I only just noticed it! I wonder how long it's been there for..?

Particularly liking the weather graphs (rainfall and temp). Just out of total curiosity, what's the source of that data, and how accurate is it thought to be? It's mega handy, though I guess I find some of the rainfall stats surprising - certain months drier or wetter than I'd have expected etc.

Anyway, massively enjoying the UKC site changes of late.

Cheers

Kevin

tjekel 22 Apr 2019
In reply to kwoods:

No answer to that question, but the weather stats - especially precipitation - seem highly unlikely to me. 

La Turbie#stats

For example, if the rainfall is really in mm, then la turbie would be a veritable desert.

Same is true here:  Gaisberg#stats. The data is not only wrong in terms of dimensions, but also in relation between months.

There seems to be a major bug here. 

OP kwoods 22 Apr 2019
In reply to tjekel:

Yes, I don't really know how they're meant to work. Wet Scottish crags have similar low monthly values for rainfall.

tjekel 23 Apr 2019
In reply to kwoods:

@rockfax / ukc staff, is there a reasonable solution? I do like the tool as an idea. 

In reply to kwoods:

Good to hear you are liking the new stats page, and we'll be making a post soon about all the small changes made to the logbooks in the last couple of weeks.

We are aware the weather data is potentially a bit off, and we're trying to find a reliable, reasonably priced source for the averages, but this is currently proving difficult. Currently the data is based on our saved forecasts for different areas, and as the forecasts are never 100% accurate, the graphs can potentially be a bit wrong. However, they should give a rough idea of what then climate is like. 

I'll try and keep you updated on the changes to the data, in the mean time, if you have suggestions for any other graphs you'd like to see, please feel free post on here, or message me privately!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...