UKC

Updated GPS coordinates for World’s End

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Paul Sagar 14 Nov 2022

Just a heads-up that the GPS coordinates on the Clwyd Limestone map for the parking nearest  World's End is quite seriously wrong. Like, 20 mins in the wrong direction wrong. Would be good to update to this:

53.0301605, -3.1459204

Just to save others the added trip we made on Saturday!

In reply to Paul Sagar:

Thanks for that. I've added those parking co-ords to the UKC page. We'll update the QR code link tomorrow.

In reply to Paul Sagar:

Hi Paul

We are not finding this problem. The written GPS is 53.027707, -3.145946 which is pretty much the same point as yours. We are getting that when scanning the QR code in the book - attached below.

Could you try doing again what you did to get the error?

Cheers
Alan

OP Paul Sagar 15 Nov 2022
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

Thanks Alan

This is really weird - I've just opened it on the app now and it is working absolutely fine. On Saturday, when I was redirecting out of the app into google maps it was taking me 20 minutes up the road. As you say, the GPS coordinates listed are, in fact, pretty much exactly the same as what I posted yesterday, 

Very strange. I'm now wondering if it was the Google Maps app that was glitching, not Rockfax. Come to think of it, was having similar weirdness with the Moelwyns parking on Sunday, but I've definitely navigated easily there via the app in the past. So yeah, upon reflection, I think that problem must have been at Google's end. Sorry about that!

In reply to Paul Sagar:

In other news, I'm glad the Clwyd Limestone book exists because despite owning it for about 4 years and treating it as pretty much exclusively a Llanymynech Guide (with one horrible trip to Trevor Quarry), World's End turned out to be an absolute treat on Saturday - what a location! Has inspired me to check out the other crags near by, not least as the harder sport there looks excellent. 

In reply to Paul Sagar:

Thanks Paul, that is good to hear.

I did have a similar event a few weeks ago. I used Rockfax Digital to navigate to a parking, it opened in google maps and I didn't check it in close. When we got near the crag I remembered the road we needed and realised that Google was taking us onto another street further away on off to the wrong side. Checked it all later and the QR code and GPS were both fine, and Google maps seemed to be fine as well. The only thing I could remember doing was tapping on an alternative route as we drove there due to a closed road. I wondered later if that might have been the cause.

Alan

In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

Yeah, definitely sounds like an issue at Google's end. What's especially odd is that at one point on Saturday I copied and pasted the GPS coordinates out of Rockfax (Google Maps kept refusing to automatically open via the Rockfax App as it normally does) and into GM, and it STILL took me to the wrong place...even though we can now confirm that the GPS coordinates I was copying and pasting were correct.

Guess there isn't much that can be done at your end, just got to hope Google sorts itself out...

ebdon 15 Nov 2022
In reply to Paul Sagar:

Some of the trad is also very good (at all the big clwyd crags) and well worth lugging a rack up for, however saying that some is absolute crap,  but its normally pretty obvious.

It's a spot I'm always surprised isnt busier 

In reply to ebdon:

Yep, both Digitron (E2 5c) and Manikins of Horror (E3 5c) have gone near the top my early season aims for next year now.

ebdon 15 Nov 2022
In reply to Paul Sagar:

I wasnt blown away by Digtron personally but I ended up off route. Good ones I've done are Solo in Soho (E3 6a)

A World in Harmony (E2 5b)

The Royal Arch (E3 6a)

Royal arch is very safe (but I thought hard, and indeed fell off on my first go)

Post edited at 15:31
In reply to Paul Sagar:

> Yep, both Digitron (E2 5c) and Manikins of Horror (E3 5c) have gone near the top my early season aims for next year now.

They're both amazing Paul, as are the various routes recommended by ebdon.

I remember enjoying Close to the Edge (E1 5b),  Butter Arete (E3 5b) and Suicide Crack (E3 6a) at World's End. The latter two are quite a contrasting pair, with the former being bold/easy and the latter being well protected/hard. Was going to recommend Taerg Wall, but saw you'd already done that!

Such a lovely set of crags down that valley...

In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Yep I’d always kind of dismissed the area after one horrible day at Trevor Quarry when there was snow on the ground and I couldn’t get off the deck on a 6b! But I realise now that the valley round the corner is a totally different proposition. As it is an hour or so closer to London than our club hut, that really opens up a lot of possibilities now I’m back in the low E grades for the first time since 2019

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...