UKC

13 minutes of Brad & Jim's speed record on The Nose

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rob_Morris1996 01 Dec 2017
http://rockandice.com/videos/climbing/13-minutes-brad-jims-speed-record-nos...

Pretty awesome little video - cool to see how hard they're pushing themselves.

Not sure I'd fancy that runout after the ledge though, especially simul climbing!
 1poundSOCKS 01 Dec 2017
In reply to Rob_Morris1996:

> Not sure I'd fancy that runout after the ledge though, especially simul climbing!

Don't you have to run it out, otherwise you'd quickly run short of gear, have to build a belay and lose a lot of the benefit?
 Ben_Climber 01 Dec 2017

Imagine the whipper! :O
 Jon Greengrass 01 Dec 2017

Not cool.
 olddirtydoggy 01 Dec 2017

Surely a fall on that string would result in dead?
 djwilse 01 Dec 2017

Good use of the in-situ climbers as a runner!!
 lithos 01 Dec 2017
In reply to djwilse:

he didn't, until the in-situ climber moved.
 timjones 01 Dec 2017
In reply to djwilse:

> Good use of the in-situ climbers as a runner!!

I thought he was careful to go outside the in-situ climbers. They then made the bizarre decision to step over his rope.
 Davidwi 01 Dec 2017
In reply to timjones:

I think he stepped over the rope to avoid having it pressing against him and the wall.

Surely that may as well have been a free solo. Stomach turning. Solid effort mind.
 Xharlie 01 Dec 2017
In reply to Davidwi:

To me, it looks like the climber he passed did indeed move out from between the rope and the wall, probably thinking that the leader would have pulled the rope taught against the wall, with him caught in between, had he fallen, because that's what would normally happen had the leader placed any gear at all after traversing past.

Since the leader didn't place any gear, however, the result of a fall would be to take the loose climber off the ledge.
 99ster 01 Dec 2017
In reply to timjones:

> I thought he was careful to go outside the in-situ climbers. They then made the bizarre decision to step over his rope.

Exactly! What could possibly go wrong....!
 jon 01 Dec 2017

Anyone know how long their rope is?
 stp 01 Dec 2017

Interesting vid. Thanks for posting. I like the fact it's raw footage, not all professionally edited with music added etc.. It makes you feel more like you're actually there with them watching.

There's a film about Brad Gobright as part of this year's Reel Rock collection. The guy is clearly an exceptional climber, even though he's not that well known, and has done some out there solo ascents second only to Alex Honnold. Apparently he has soloed the Naked Edge some 25 times.
 stp 01 Dec 2017
In reply to Jon Greengrass:

> Not cool.

Why not? Is it that you think the risks are too great or unjustified?
 elliot.baker 01 Dec 2017

hah I read your comment about "not sure I like that run-out" then watched it and was like...! wtf that is just free solo with a rope dangling from your harness! I'm sure the climbs well, well, well within their capacity though.
 Bulls Crack 02 Dec 2017
In reply to stp:

It's all relative but to increasing risk to treat a cliff like a racetrack? Hmm
Bogwalloper 02 Dec 2017

Nice clip that.

5:10c up to Dolt tower then a 5:8 a 5:9 and a 5:6 pitch to El Cap Tower - all in 13 minutes.

Cool,

W
 Si dH 02 Dec 2017
Thanks for sharing. Amazing climbing.

I don't really get the naysayers on here. I had expected to see something different, unrelatable. But it looks to me like they are climbing at a fast but natural and enjoyable pace, unencumbered. The ability to climb like that is the reason I always used to solo Heaven Crack on every trip to Stanage. Being good enough and fit enough to do it on the Nose is incredible.
To my surprise I find this more inspiring than Honnold soloing it.
Post edited at 09:50
 TobyA 02 Dec 2017
In reply to Si dH:

"Lets see if I can poop in the time it takes them to climb the next three pitches." Lolz.

Crack gloves people, if that doesn't persuade you, not sure what will!
https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=9590
 Si dH 02 Dec 2017
In reply to TobyA:

I confess I couldn't quite believe an adult said the word 'poop' in normal conversation
 Jon Greengrass 02 Dec 2017
In reply to stp:

Did you see how much he was sweating, thirsty work.
 TobyA 02 Dec 2017
In reply to Si dH:

I reckon he was being polite for the GoPro, or as polite as you can be when you are about to take a dump in a bag, 5 foot from your mate!

Incredible run-out work-out!!
 Wee Davie 02 Dec 2017
In reply to John Stainforth:

Yeah, the run outs are absolutely insane. Not what I imagined at all. It must qualify as a confidence rope more than pro?
 timjones 03 Dec 2017
In reply to Si dH:

> I confess I couldn't quite believe an adult said the word 'poop' in normal conversation

It seems fairly normal in America.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...