UKC

2hrs sport climbing on the telly!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 drconline 13 Nov 2020

So this doesn’t  happen often - Two hours of sport climbing on broadcast TV!

Ok it’s the slightly niche BBC Scotland channel and there’s a wee bit of mansplaining but there’s also lots of actual climbing!!

On iPlayer here

The Adventure Show, 2020/21: The Super Crag: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000pd45 via @bbciplayer

interesting style to have comp style commentary on outdoor sport climbing but it’s a good watch all together.

Well done BBC Scotland.

Cog 13 Nov 2020
In reply to drconline:

I didn't expect that.

Thought 10 minutes climbing, some running/swimming/walking then back to climbing at the end.

digby 14 Nov 2020
In reply to drconline:

Saw it last night. It was really rather good, surprisingly.

I came to the forums to see what everyone else thought and there's nothing!

Quote of the show "he has forearms the size of most people's lower legs". And he did.

MisterPiggy 14 Nov 2020
In reply to drconline:

😞

Not available outside the UK... <sniff, sniff>

aln 14 Nov 2020
In reply to digby:

> I came to the forums to see what everyone else thought and there's nothing!

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/rock_talk/loch_maree_sport_on_bbc_adventu...

digby 15 Nov 2020
In reply to aln:

Ok not literally nothing!

johncook 15 Nov 2020
In reply to drconline:

Unfortunately on BBC and iplayer. Both of which need a BBC licence which I am not prepared to buy. I will therefore not see this programme as I also have no intention of breaking a law, however wrong it is!

Shame.

Removed User 15 Nov 2020
In reply to drconline:

Thought of sport climbing on a crag on Loch Maree makes me want to puke.

The beauty of the NW just a little bit less unspoilt.

Vigier 15 Nov 2020
In reply to MisterPiggy:

Watched on iplayer from France last night. Used NordVPN.

In reply to drconline:

Cheers for the heads up. 

climbercool 15 Nov 2020
In reply to drconline:

do you understand what mansplaining means? you cant mansplain if your addressing both men and women, thats just being patronizing.

scragrock 15 Nov 2020
In reply to drconline:

Sorry, what is "mansplaining"?

TobyA 15 Nov 2020
In reply to Removed User:

> The beauty of the NW just a little bit less unspoilt.

Well, i guess there are lots of way we spoil the hills. I've only watched maybe 25 minutes, and it looks rather nice. But it is above Loch Maree which isn't really close to many people, and then it's an hour and a half walk I think they said (looking moderately rough going) to get there - then the easiest routes they said were 6b, so I wonder if it will ever get hugely popular. Add in standard weather and midge considerations...

All the bolts in that cliff probably weigh in total less than the wire in a few hundred metres of deer fencing, and I'm sure like most bolts you have to be pretty close before you even notice them - so maybe not really that bad a thing.

Removed User 15 Nov 2020
In reply to TobyA:

Yeah, I really can't be arsed.

If you don't get it you won't get it.

TobyA 15 Nov 2020

Well OK, I pretty much learnt to climb in the Highlands, in about the most traditional way, so I very much understand the traditional climbing ethos. I guess as I've just climbed in various other places around the world, my views have relaxed on that whilst I take other things more seriously than I once did.

I am genuinely interested to know how popular or not Super Crag gets though. I haven't been there, but from knowing the area a little, it must be one of the more splendid places to climb in the UK.

webbo 15 Nov 2020

> Yeah, I really can't be arsed.

> If you don't get it you won't get it.

If you don’t like bolted crags why do you climb on them or is it case not in my back yard.

Robert Durran 15 Nov 2020
In reply to TobyA:

> I am genuinely interested to know how popular or not Super Crag gets though. I haven't been there, but from knowing the area a little, it must be one of the more splendid places to climb in the UK.

I think it is a pity that the programme latched onto the "Super Crag" tag (which I believe arose because it is the best sport find in the NW of recent years in counterpart to the best trad find  Creag Rodha Mor which was also nick named "Super Crag" by those developing it). The crag already had the (admittedly slightly uninspiring) name  Loch Maree Crag and has been home to some outstanding trad routes for many years and is indeed a wonderful place to climb. "Super Crag" is not really a crag at all, but just the overhanging right hand wall of Loch Maree Crag. It is a pity that the opportunity to show some contrasting trad climbing round the corner on the front face was missed (though I believe that covid regulations made this problematical).

Post edited at 23:12
OP drconline 16 Nov 2020
In reply to climbercool:

Ok sorry - wrong choice of words - patronising would have been a better choice though in fact I don’t think was that bad.

All the explanation did feel pretty accurate (including explaining the geology and why that section was bolted and why that used to be controversial but most folk have moved on.... but not all it seems) and I liked that they explained some climbing terms then just used them properly after that.

It’s  a tricky balance to please the climbers and the non-climbers and I thought it was well judged in that regard.

peter.herd 16 Nov 2020
In reply to Robert Durran:

Hence its known as Loch Maree Super Crag, following its level up. 

Michael Gordon 16 Nov 2020
In reply to Robert Durran:

> It is a pity that the opportunity to show some contrasting trad climbing round the corner on the front face was missed (though I believe that covid regulations made this problematical).

I don't have first hand knowledge of the trad routes, but you'd think that provided the starts weren't too bad and they abbed for the gear, any coronavirus concerns could've been dealt with to the same degree as the sport climbing. 

In reply to peter.herd:

> Hence its known as Loch Maree Super Crag, following its level up. 

I've heard Nintendo are going to sponsor new routing there - and have the crag renamed Super Mareeio Land

Le Sapeur 16 Nov 2020
In reply to johncook:

> Unfortunately on BBC and iplayer. Both of which need a BBC licence which I am not prepared to buy. I will therefore not see this programme as I also have no intention of breaking a law, however wrong it is!

> Shame.

Personally I think £3 a week for the best television on the planet is a small price to pay. Think of it as the smallest tax bill you will ever receive, but unlike other taxes you actually get something amazingfor your money.

Robert Durran 16 Nov 2020
In reply to Le Sapeur:

> Personally I think £3 a week for the best television on the planet is a small price to pay. 

Absolutely. The BBC is one of the best things about this country, the envy of the world, and fantastically good value.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...