UKC

A5 top roping

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Steve Brooks 18 Mar 2018

Hi,  Can anyone recommend a suitable crag for top-roping with my kids along the A5 in Snowdonia, North Wales, (or nearby). They climb at L5b indoor, I need access to top to set up the anchor as they can't belay me to lead first. Thanks in advance.

spenser 18 Mar 2018
In reply to Steve Brooks:

RAC Boulders

I think there are a couple of trees at the top here, otherwise natural anchors.

There is also a little crag which you will pass just before reaching the RAC boulders after leaving the A5, it's listed in the CC Ogwen guide as the "Ricks and Racks" I think.

I think there are a couple of routes on the slab next to the campsite in Ogwen Valley as well, however I am unsure of the grades there.

OP Steve Brooks 18 Mar 2018
In reply to spenser:

Thanks.

dilatory 18 Mar 2018

Further down you've got Tryfan Bach and Tin Can Alley behind Ogwen Cottage. 

spenser 18 Mar 2018
In reply to dilatory:

Tryfan bach is a bit on the tall side for easy communication between top and bottom of the crag, it may be feasible to take the kids to the top and lower them the full height of the crag before they then climb back up but if the OP is just wanting to introduce his kids to outdoor climbing there are better venues in the local area.

There are some climbs on what I think are called The Pinnacles at Capel Curig. You take a path directly opposite the shops. I climbed there on the first day of an Outdoor Pursuits PGCE in 1977. Lots of easy boulders and a couple of decent climbs plus an abseil. Only 5 mins from the road. Not sure if they are related to the RAC Boulders.

PS IMHOTryfan Bach is a great place to learn about leading but a bit too long for easy top-roping.

Post edited at 21:12

How "nearby" the A5 can it be? - there are other areas in the Llanberis Pass and elsewhere. Are you looking for roadside, or is a walk-in OK?

Best areas (multiple routes in Diff-VS range; easy setups and fast resetting for next route etc) would include: 

Trevor Quarry Quarry area. Not Snowdonia but 10 mins off the A5 on the way in/out of the Parc. 

Craig Y Tonnau 20 mins off the A5 and a bit of a walk in but great rock, even if wet, and vertical pitches with good setups at the top. Juggy holds make it similar climbing to indoors walls. 

Clogwyn Cyrau Little Buttress. Above Betws y coed, but quite a walk in whether you park at the bottom or the top. 15 short (10m) easy routes with massive trees/roots for belays at the top, great views over the town. 

Creigiau Llynnau Mymbyr ('Ricks and racks') 2 minutes off the A5 at Capel curig, just past Plas y Brenin. Selection of nice routes in the right grade BUT toprope setups aren't always as easy as some routes wander a bit and finish out of sight of the base. 

Craig Caseg Fraith Isaf Probably the best of the crags actually on the A5. Only downside is the £2 parking fee! 

Idwall Quarry / Tin Can Alley Only a couple of lines here, but can be combined with  Idwal Cottage Crag , which is bouldering but with some top-ropable lines, and if the kids are small/skinny they'll probably enjoy the Idwal Squeeze. 

Most of these areas will need some trad gear and a static rope for setting the topropes. 

Post edited at 21:40
 carneddau 19 Mar 2018

Second the idea from Keith. The Pinnacles at Capel Curig would be a good place to start to introduce roped climbing.  Ideal area for primary school ages or novices. I started my children off there many moons ago. 

There are a number of boulders as Keith said to build some confidence and warm up. Then a decent sized slab to set up your top rope. Found a link for you:

http://outdoornorthwales.com/en/venues/capel-pinnacles

well worth a look

Mark

john arran 19 Mar 2018

You do realise you don't get the 'A5' tick if you top-rope it? 

In reply to john arran:

> You do realise you don't get the 'A5' tick if you top-rope it? 

It would be a good couple of grades harder than this though 

youtube.com/watch?v=DaoYSiNDnI0&

OP Steve Brooks 21 Mar 2018
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

Thanks for these suggestions - 20 minutes walk in is fine.  We climb Avon Gorge setting top rope with static and using nuts so think will  give Craig Y Tonnau a go.  Thank you for the effort you've clearly given to these replies.

Steve

aln 21 Mar 2018

> They climb at L5b indoor, 

What's that? 

Andy Moles 22 Mar 2018
In reply to john arran:

> You do realise you don't get the 'A5' tick if you top-rope it? 

Maybe you do if you build the top rope anchor on A5 placements.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...