UKC

Advice needed for Grey Panther - Kilt Rock

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PJoutdoors 13 Jul 2021

Would it be possible to do this with 50m half ropes? Says 45m so hoping it'll be doable if both belays are close enough. Otherwise it's a 70m single with plenty of extenders or I'm off shopping...

joeramsay 13 Jul 2021
In reply to PJoutdoors:

I seem to remember being glad of 60s as the anchor is a bit back from the edge. You might be OK on a single since there's gear in either crack most of the way up so you don't have to change which one you're in very often.

Alternatively presumably you're abbing in on a separate rope? If you ab directly down the line, which I think most people do, then you could belay on that.

Enjoy, it's an absolutely brilliant route!

mark4344 13 Jul 2021
In reply to PJoutdoors:

We did it last month on 60m ropes. As already mentioned, only Belay is on fixed spikes a long way back. Will be OK, if you have a separate Ab rope left in place. Brilliant route and great gear. 

OP PJoutdoors 13 Jul 2021

Great - thanks so much both! Will be abseiling, esp after looking at the suggestions to avoid the gully! Now just have to hope for good weather

Post edited at 15:08
 Andy Moles 13 Jul 2021
In reply to PJoutdoors:

The route is actually closer to 40m than 45m, so 50s are more than enough.

Michael Gordon 13 Jul 2021
In reply to PJoutdoors:

I'd say it's more important to take a long ab rope or another wee rope for rigging at the top, to make sure you get down there. 

rurp 14 Jul 2021
In reply to PJoutdoors:

Ab down your 70m single. Climb on your two 50m halves. Simples. Great route, one of the best I’ve climbed at any grade

OP PJoutdoors 14 Jul 2021
In reply to Michael Gordon:

Yep, have a plenty long enough ab rope  Thanks all!

Cog 14 Jul 2021
In reply to PJoutdoors:

First time I did Grey Panther we 'walked' in with 2 50s, also walked in for Edge of Beyond that day. I thought the walk was fairly dangerous.

Rich W Parker 14 Jul 2021
In reply to PJoutdoors:

Heading down the gully is ok, it's just getting round to the start of the route that would be horrifying.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...